Topic

Klim vs Needo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Alright, did my research and found that Klim and Needo are different names for the same thing. It depends on marketing region and all that crap.

So for those that don't know, non-fat milk sucks, especially on the trail. Needo/Klim are whole milk powders that actually taste like milk, as opposed to that nasty taste that non-fat dry milk has.

After discovering Needo/Klim, I found it is great with a lot more foods than I originally thought.

Add a good amount to oatmeal with your favorite dried fruit and you have something that will really stick to the ribs much better than oatmeal with water.

Make cocoa, coffee, desert rices and puddings, ….

Light, nutritious,… and packed with fat calories that help keep you going.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Before we went vegan I used Organic Valley's dry non-fat milk. Even though it was non-fat it didn't have … er…taste and smell that most dry non-fat milk does.

Don't get me wrong, Nido is excellent in smoothies and shakes on trail…stuff makes drinks so thick and rich. My cholesterol just can't handle it…lol! I still use Nido, but just for the baby, since full fat is what he drinks. Lucky baby!

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Anybody know the shelf life of a can of Nido after it's been opened?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

From what I understand, Needo(Klim) will last years if the can is unopened. After opening, several months refrigerated and weeks at room temperature.

Heat and especially moisture can shorten it's shelf life significantly after it's been opened.

I throw in a desiccant packet after I open a can. I keep desiccant packets in all my dehydrated backpacking food to also improve the shelf live, but I live in the muggy North East.

The desiccant isn't that necessary in drier climates.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Nido does have a shorter lifespan (that is due to the 26% fat) and can be stored wither way – but yes, cold storage gets a much longer life. I have used cans over a 6 months period.
    BTW< non-fat dry milk is good for a year opened at room temps.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

@ David

I just googled that question and it brought me here… small world! Thanks also Sarah for your answer about your experience with open can's, I found one in the panty I had forgotten about, that was opened about 9mo. to a year old, its color was a bit pale, with no off smells and a few clumps, I'm not going to use this for my upcoming trip, (a week too mt whitney! wahoo!) but it still seemed usable… hmmm….

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools