Topic

Spectacular PNW trip suggestion??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Spectacular PNW trip suggestion??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth Camp
    BPL Member

@scamp_80

Locale: Portland, Oregon

Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses and for sharing your expertise.

My hiking partner & I decided to do a longer (~7day) early September trip to Glacier Peak and a shorter trip in August to Pasayten. I'm really excited about both trips and also look forward to sharing my trip reports here on BPL.

Thanks again!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The depot creek waterfall is amazing. Off hand I don't know of any other several hundred foot roaring waterfall/cataract that you literally hike through/next to."

+1 It is quite a sight, and also a good place to watch your step. I've seldom been on more slimy rocks. We used a hand line coming down. Left side is definitely where you want to be most of the way.

"Never been on the Cooper ridge. How is it? I take it that you have been there? Seems like a great weekend trip."

Copper Ridge is one of the routes I haven't done, but I got a blow by blow description from a couple of friends who did it as a weekend trip, and had a pretty good look at it on the way in to Mt Challenger. Excellent views but, for my money, Easy Ridge offers a lot more bang for the buck. It can also be done as a weekend trip, but 3 days would be better. That way you could drop down around Imperfect Impasse and climb up the other side to Perfect Pass without pushing too hard. From there you have gorgeous views of Whatcom Peak up close and personal, along with Mt Challenger and lots of other peaks I can't recall off the top of my head. Bring a map and compass and identify as many as you wish. It's a beautiful area. The route is best done later in the season, as you have to ford the Chilliwack River and, if it is running high, it would be pretty sketchy.

While I've got your attention, if you haven't already done the Bath Lakes High Route or The Buckindy-Snow King Traverse in The Glacier Peak Wilderness, you might want to put them on your to do list. They are both classic Cascade off trail routes, strenusous, beautiful, and remote. It sounds like they'd be right up your alley.

Elizabeth,

You've made a couple of excellent choices. The Pasayten will be far more enjoyable in September. I hope you have a great time!

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yup both on the short list for places to go. Started on the Buckinidy High route, but turned around when I started getting a ripping headache which I knew would last a couple days. Bath Lakes High Route is on the short list For sure going over to Garden Pass and out via image lake and or Cub Lake and Bachelor Creek abandoned trail. Dad Cracked his rib crossing Bachelor Creek last time I was up there. =)

+1 I agree with switching the timing for the Pasayten and Glacier Peak Wilderness trips. Then again, there will still be huckleberries in early September assuming the bears haven't stripped them all. In August will have some flowers still and huckleberries in Glacier Peak Wilderness, while the Pasayten will be DRY as said mountains are behind the Big peaks of both the North Cascades national Park and the Cascade Crest Peaks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Dad Cracked his rib crossing Bachelor Creek last time I was up there."

That ain't no country for old men. I can vouch from personal experience. ;-)

Glad to hear both routes are on your short list. You're gonna luv 'em.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools