Topic

Nylon shock cord – breaking strength?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Nylon shock cord – breaking strength?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Does anyone know or can refer me to the breaking strength of 1/8" and 3/32" nylon shock cord?

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Michael,

I am not sure any company lists it. I have searched for it before with no luck. If you don't already own the shock cord I would suggest buying polyester stuff. It seems to be stronger and lasts a hell of a lot longer. Could be the reason its more expensive.

If you don't mind me asking. What are you doing with it?

Michael Davis

@mad777

Hi Lawson,

I use it for two things. One is suspension cords for holding my under quilt against the bottom of my hammock. The other, I use a small loop of it at my tarp tie-out as a guy line tensioner.

I checked http://WWW.OWFINC.COM and they have the 1/8" polypro shock cord for $0.19 per foot which is pretty good!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Did you sew a tab to your underquilt, like Shug? If so, how did you figure out exactly where it would be best to sew it? If not sewn on, how are you securing the cord onto the underquilt? I am trying to do just that right now. Thanks

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

1/8" shock cord works great with line locks. I use to sell them already made up on my website but they weren't hot sellers so I took them off. Just the other day I got two emails asking if I still sold them so maybe I should add them back? In any event here is a posting at hammock forums how I made them. The heat shrink tubing finishes them off.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16900

Michael Davis

@mad777

Katharina,

I sewed small loops using a 2" length of 3/4" grosgain on the very corner of the tarp. The corner edges are re-enforced with 3/4" grosgain for about 4" (just the portion of the corner that is re-enforced with 2 extra layers of silnylon).

Then, I tied a 10" long piece of shock cord onto the grosgain tabs with a double fisherman's knot.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Michael,

Have you considered this arrangement?

Safety line and shockcord arrangement

The guyline limits the distance that the shockcord can stretch. I pitch the tarp and tighten the guylines until the shockcord is stretched out and the guyline itself is under tension. There is still stretch left in the shockcord after the guyline itself begins bearing the load.

As you can see I used a fisherman's knot to join the doubled over shockcord to the guyline. I don't even give it a second thought about it breaking. I believe my grosgrain tieouts would pull free first.

Party On,

Newton

Michael Davis

@mad777

Great idea, Newton! I was always secretly worried about the integrity of the shock cord. This makes it a non-issue!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools