Topic

Most fun for $58/my new spin rig. Thanks BPL members.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Most fun for $58/my new spin rig. Thanks BPL members.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

My first fish caught in 20 years. The best $58 I've spent in a very long time.

nt

Upon advice from forum members, I got an Eagle Claw Telescopic rod. It is 5'6" fully extended. I've only used it once, so no idea on durability (should have bought 2), but it is AWESOME so far. Packs down to about a foot, line ready to go.

I went a little heavier and bought a Pflueger President 6725X (9 ball bearing). I figure I want to try to land a pickerel (walleye) next time I'm back at Lake Winnipeg.

I bought it from here:

http://www.edgeangling.com/

Excellent service. Free shipping over $25 and they price match.

I found this place to have the cheapest prices:

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/123461_Eagle_Claw_Fishing_Eagle_Claw_PK555SP_Pack-I.aspx

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/88632__Pflueger_Fishing_Pflueger_6725_President_S.aspx?SR=1

At the time, the Eagle Claw was $8.95. You now have to order in muliples of 5. Nonetheless, they're $15 at Edge Angling. They were kind enough to match prices with absolutely no hassles.

I bought a similiar setup for my buddy (Pflueger Trion, total $40). He's stoked.

There might be a better deal somewhere else, I wouldn't know, but this was no hassle and for a newbie fisherman who knew very little, I am extremely happy for $58.

Hope this helps someone.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Scott,

Congrats on the fish! Feels great, huh?

Great pic.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Congrats Scott, and yes that is a great picture! Nice fish to boot.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

beautiful :)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Looks tasty!!!

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Yeah, what an awesome addition to my setup. I'm even contemplating driving down to Washington, car camping, just so I can do more fishing.

Was up there with another BPL member, Dan D., who was kind enough to show me the ropes. He slayed me 15 fish to 3.

We were seriously contemplating frying that sucker up, but had to cut the trip short as the snow was unexpected… and note to self, bring more socks.

What a wicked way to spend a bluebird day though!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yeah this was a fun trip! I only caught more fish because I was reeling in all the tiny ones. Scott caught 3 nice ones. Here's another one of Scott's fish:

Scott Fish

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools