Topic

[share] Cuben Shoulder pouch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear [share] Cuben Shoulder pouch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Locale: store.picharpak.com

just same as the McHale shoulder pouch but made it in cuben!

McHale Shoulder pouch Cuben

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi,

What is the point in using Cuben Fiber if you are going to add all the weight back in with those heavy zippers?

What am I missing?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

You've switched to a waterproof material (cuben) but replaced the waterproof zips with regular zips. I would use #3 Uretek zips.

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Locale: store.picharpak.com

Bill and Dan thx for the useful comment!!

This just the first lot of prototype, i still not get the uretek on hand yet.

Someone told me the Uretek after few years the seal rubber will be worn off no more waterproof so i still considering, and find out that standard coil zipper is faster access to the pouch too!

Cuben fiber another advantage is not absorbing water not like the dyneema grid fabric it absorbing water. Only disadvantage of this pack is need to be seam seal as it construct at stitching seam so not 100% waterproof yet.

I m thinking to use the standard coil and with a waterproof function. may be a flip on top of the coil zipper will work?!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Occasionally a Uretek coating will wear out kinda fast, but usually they last quite a long time. My ski jacket has seen hundreds of days on the ski hill and it's got all Uretek zips and they're all looking good still. It might have something to do with how tight the slider is? I have seen one or two over the years that has worn out prematurely but I wouldn't say this is normally the case.

You're right about the non-uretek ones being easier to open. The best zippers are actually the toothed, waterproof zips like the YKK Aquaseal Zip and the RiRi zippers. These are waterproof, last forever and open easily like a normal zip. The downside is that they only come in bigger sizes (ie. #5) but that may be what you're using anyways. It would add cost, but these waterproof, toothed zippers are the best.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools