Topic

SHR ?’s and your thoughts.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion SHR ?’s and your thoughts.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Well,
    seems like with the New Year the urge to start the planning in earnest begins! Was wondering about what the snowpack has been like in the Sierra, and if there have been any projections for the rest of the season.

I've put together my own databook aka Skurka style to begin my planning for the route. I'm looking at 14 & 14, which means 14 days with 14 miles a day avg. Including short day getting out of Roads End, and then longer day where there was a 15mi stretch of the JMT for example. (contact me if you would like to look at my data for your own plan)Thinking along those lines gives me reasonable mileage, but hopefully time for soaking it in. Also am hoping that I can stick with 1.5lbs food per day. Usual hikes I'm really only at one pound a day and Im fine. This extra effort I think will require more.

Next items to begin to finalize will be dates, and the logistic shuttle. All that will depend on snow pack.

Looking forward to hearing everyones plan as they come together!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'm fairly certain I want to do a section of it solo this summer as well. I'd love to go all the way but will likely only have 7-8 days; I doubt I could do it that fast.

I'm also just laying low right now, mainly waiting to get a sense of the snowpack before I start locking in dates; fortunately I've got 2 months of schedule flexibility.
    I'll keep posting here as we get closer.

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Are you two planning on bringing a PLB? If so which one?

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

I am not planning on taking one. I will leave a detailed itinerary with my wife, including a track file with waypoints etc from TOPO of my intended route etc. This is something I do for all my trips now. After an unexcpected helo ride years ago from the side of Rainier, she insisted on more info… :) this is a great way to do that.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools