Topic

Tarptent Contrail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Contrail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I was wondering if there is another way to pack the Contrail in my backpack. lately i've just been putting it in the stuff sac and shoving it in my pack horizontal. It's fine that way, but a little bulky. any suggestions

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

It depends on what type of pack you have. If there are outside pockets you can use those or use the tie down straps (if you have them) to lash it to the top of the pack or even use the top lid of the pack (again, if you have it) to hold it in place.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

As above, depending on what outside pockets or straps you have.

To me, it makes a lot more sense packing your tent / shelter outside.

1. Saves a lot of space for other gear — maybe even allowing you to use a smaller pack.

2. When arriving at camp in the rain, you can access and set up your tent without opening up your backpack and exposing its contents to the rain.

3. When striking camp in the rain, you can pack and close up your pack in the safety of your shelter, then put on your rain jacket, take down your tent, attach to the outside of your pack — and you're good to go. Also, no worries about packing a soaking wet and muddy tent inside your pack.

Most UL packs have a single top compression strap. With a relatively small and light load (such as with the Contrail) — you can strap your tent right under.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

+ to what Ben said! I don't have a Contrail but do pack my shelter in one of the outside side pockets in my pack, for the same reasons.

David Ure

@familyguy

If I am bushwacking, the tent goes in the pack. Otherwise it gets shredded. Obviously much different on groomed trails.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Bushwhacking…

Just as the pack itself can get shredded when truly bushwhacking… but thinking about it, if you were using a UL type backpack and have the tent right on top (strapped under the pack's top compression strap) — it likely will be right behind your back at around shoulder height — a pretty well protected spot actually.

OTOH, if using a full size, traditional backpack where the top extends upward above your head — and totally exposed — then yeah, stick the tent inside to protect it when bushwhacking — or use bottom compression strap so the pack itself will help protect the tent…

David Ure

@familyguy

My packs are all made of Dyneema Gridstop or Dyneema. They don't get shredded. A silnylon tent hanging on my pack would.

We backpack in very different areas. Obviously.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Kutenay will laugh at your flimsy dyneema gridstop!! You obviously hike only the gentler parts of BC, because the parts where Kutenay hikes, only McHale's and Mystery Ranch packs will do. Wuss. :)

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey – don't you be dissin' Bog Kute.

I haven't been deemed worthy enough for 1000d Cordura yet. Maybe one day.

; )

Antti Heiska

@daimos1

Hey,

does the Contrail fit a 6'1 sleeper in, with a size 12 feet – without wetting my sleeping bag?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I asked the local expert…

Using the standard set up, 6'5" in the fly will be 17" away from the floor.
    (the extra 4 " are added to accomodate the sleeping bag)
    IF you add the extra rear strut ($5 extra) you than have 19" in the middle because of the extra lift.
    Contrail extra strut
    Franco
    BTW, the new world record for setting up the Contrail is 49.75 sec…
    new world record

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

congrats on the world record. very impressive! watching the video, looks like you could shave off several seconds. I believe you could break 40 seconds.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi George
    I told Henry that for $10k I'll do it in 45 sec.
    I have not heard from him since.
    Franco

Anonymous
    Inactive

"If I am bushwacking, the tent goes in the pack. Otherwise it gets shredded. Obviously much different on groomed trails."

+1

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools