Topic

Guidance Requested: Summer Tarps in the Upper Midwest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Guidance Requested: Summer Tarps in the Upper Midwest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jason Teckam

@jasont

Locale: Upper Midwest

Hello everyone,

First off I have to thank all of you who have asked and answered the many "newbie" questions. You've helped me on my journey to getting my gear much lighter.

My question is, what are the recommendations for tarp tenting in the upper midwest in summer? My concern is bugs and hot nights. Clearly, on some nights, sleeping in the summer bag would still be pretty darn hot, as would be using a bivey.

I have a Kelty tarp that I would like to experiment with but am uncertain as to what to do for bug protection. I've considered getting one of those pyramid shaped nets that I could hang from a line under the tarp, but I figure there are probably better options out there.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

yep, just grab one of those bug net with bathtub floor combos and you'll be all set. many places, even REI and amazon, carry them – some for pretty cheap.

or sleep without one and be a pound or two lighter in the morning :)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools