Topic

Longest Lasting Sun Block

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Longest Lasting Sun Block

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

What in your esteemed opinion is the longest lasting sun block? I don’t need high SPF per se, just something “sweat resistant” that I only need to apply once a day, for full-day protection. Does something like this exist?

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I’ve found that most of them work. I am partial to AloeaGator. It really hangs in there.

Jordan Hurder

@jordanhurder

Locale: Southern California

BullFrog is pretty good. It’s hard to rub it in all the way, though, so you look kind of strange wearing it.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Anything you can find with the physical sunblock Titanium Dioxide in high % is going to last long and be very effective. My Dermotologist who is one of the leaders in her field says that TD or Micro Ground Zinc Oxide are the ingredients to look for not all of these other chemical sunblocks which are good but not as effective against UVA/B. IF you can find it look for ROC brand which is French in manufacture. Also good is a sunblock I found at SaveOn. It is in a small pot — white base with a blue top — SPF 45 and made with Micro ground Zinc Oxide. It is SaveOn’s brand and cheap. I have been alternating between these two for several years and have had great success, especially at altitudes above 10k. They do not sweat into your eyes and at the end of the day they wash off with a little camp soap.

Addendum: Wet wipes also work to remove these sunblocks. My whole family has a history of skin cancer, so I have to be exceptionally careful and like you I live in SC. So, I am the proud owner of a very white skin even after days above 10k thanks to these two products.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

William Wright

@farstar

I’ll second the Bullfrog recommendation. My two kids and I survived a week under the tropical sun in Ixtapa with nothing but one application of Bullfrog per day on our fish belly white complexions. Despite long hours in the pool or ocean, no sunburn except for a touch of pink around our eyes.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I tried the REI ONE sunblock on a trip in the high sierras with a lot of sun comming down and reflecting up off of the snow. One application the morning of the trip, 2 days of hiking, and I was still as white as a ghost.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Greyson:

Regarding the REI One, do you need “soap and water” to get the stuff off at the end of the day — or will “wet wipes” do the trick as well?

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Clown white, titaniumdioxide
    REI used to carry it in very small tins and
    clown supply stores have it.

A total block you can see where it has been
    applied. Better than any zinc or clear stuff.

You’ll tan faster through
    your clothes than this stuff.
    Great for sunny glacier travel at a high elevation.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I didn’t feel sticky/greasy at all and didn’t feel a need to remove it, like I said, one days coverage worked for two days of backpacking, and I burn relativly easily, so I am impressed.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Thanks again for your input! I just bought a tube of REI One. :)

Tariqa Mead
    BPL Member

@fenester

Slightly off-topic, but thought I’d mention for people searching sunscreen.
    Many US available sunscreens block UVB well but not so much UVA. My understanding is that B is more responsible for tanning/burning, but A can still cause skin damage and ultimately increase risk of skin cancer.
    Apart from the physical blocks mentioned above (titanium/zinc oxide), Mexoryl is a good broad spectrum (both A and B) sun block ingredient. It’s not available in USA yet, but I believe is in Canada (and Europe). I believe ROC (mentioned above) carries such sunscreens, as well as LaRoche.
    Anyways, just check for Mexoryl XL (the XL is the waterproof/sports formulation). Available online.
    It’s worked very well for me the past two years.
    [Note: I had A and B switched and have corrected it above. Also, as of today Mexoryl was finally approved for sale in the US]

Summit CO

@summit

Locale: 9300ft

Skin cancer is due to DNA damage in skin cells.

Skin cancer secondary to UV exposure is caused when UV exposure leads to said damage in skin cells.

UVA indirectly damages DNA by causing free radicals which can then interact with DNA.

UVB is a shorter wave length, thus higher energy, and can directly damage DNA.

An equal dose of UVB causes many times more DNA damage than an equal dose of UVA.

As you increase in altitude, the UV intensity increases. However, the proportion that UV that is UVB increases as well wtih altitude.

UVC is worst of all but the ozone layer absorbs all of it.

I’ll be happy to post some more details on this upon request…

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Check your focus. UVB rays are the burning rays (B for burning) and UVA rays are the aging rays (A for aging).

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

Tariqa Mead wrote:
    Apart from the physical blocks mentioned above (titanium/zinc oxide), Mexoryl is a good broad spectrum (both A and B) sun block ingredient. It’s not available in USA yet, but I believe is in Canada (and Europe).

If you can’t track down any Mexoryl-based sunscreens, then you might want to get something with Avobenzone (also called Parsol 1789). Aside from the physical blocks, it’s supposed to be the most effective UVA-blocking sunscreen ingredient that’s available in the US. Most sunscreens are effective at blocking UVB, but not the entire UVA spectrum. (BTW, As John pointed out, you mixed up the effects of UVA versus UVB).

Tariqa Mead
    BPL Member

@fenester

Hi,
    Sorry to have gotten my UV A and B switched, I’ve corrected my post above. Thanks for correcting my mistake!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Long-Awaited Sunscreen Approved for Sale

Jul 24, 5:17 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) – A sunscreen that blocks the type of ultraviolet radiation linked to some cancers, and which has been available only outside the United States, received federal approval Monday.
    Called Anthelios SX, the sunscreen contains ecamsule, an ingredient better at blocking ultraviolet A, or UVA, radiation than other sunscreen ingredients currently sold in the United States. Those ingredients mainly screen out UVB rays.
    UVB has long been associated with sunburn, while UVA is recognized as a deeper penetrating radiation, according to the Food and Drug Administration. Doctors suspect there is a link between UVA exposure and longer-term effects, including wrinkles, basal and squamous cell cancers and melanoma.
    Anthelios is made by the French cosmetics company L’Oreal SA. It has a sun protection factor or SPF of 15.
    The sunscreen contains three active ingredients, including ecamsule or Mexoryl SX. Mexoryl has been included in the company’s sunscreens sold in Canada and Europe since 1993.
    LaRoche-Posay will distribute the product, the FDA said.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools