Topic

What tarp for 2.5; hammock and ground?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What tarp for 2.5; hammock and ground?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    John A

@johna

Locale: Great Lakes State

I'm looking for a tarp that can be used for two in a hammock, with a dog on the ground, and also for all 2.5 of us on the ground (the Elkhound is about 50 lb.). Being able to pitch in a variety of ways on the ground would be nice. Suggestions?

Thanks!

JohnA

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Oware flat tarp 3.0 or 3.5? Lots of tie outs and space.

John A

@johna

I'll check into those, thanks.

I had been/am considering a JRB 11×10 Cat Tarp, but can't seem to find anyone with experience with them.

JohnA

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

mac cat tarps oes tarps, warbonnet tarps, backwoods day dreamer tarps, sorry if i forgot any.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but how did you train your dog to stay under the tarp while you're in your hammock? I'd love to switch to a tarp for when the family and dog is with me, but I can't think of how to keep the dog well-behaved while I sleep without some walls around her.

John A

@johna

Actually, I've only had him with me in the back yard so far, since I don't yet have a tarp I can use with a hammock. I've just kept him on a tie-out, and figure I'll have to do the same while camping (or just use his leash).

He's pretty well-behaved, and probably wouldn't go far, but I don't trust him to stick right by my side while sleeping. On my last trip he snuck out from under the vestibule wall while I was still asleep in the tent. He stayed in the tent with us after that. : )

JohnA

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy or anything but isn't it generally considered a Really Bad IdeaTM to tie up your dog outside while camping? If tied up, they can't properly defend themselves should they need to…

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

I run a line through my hammock area from tree to tree that allows him to run in and out as he wishes. If something happens that requires me to cut him loose(so far this has not happened) I can just cut the run line and he is free.

ross erickson

@themaestro

Locale: colorado

what 2 person hammock are you using and how comfortable is it?

John A

@johna

It's an ENO Doublenest, but I can't quite recommend it yet, since we've only napped in it as a couple once so far. We did manage to find four arrangements that were pretty comfy though.

Have you run across any other good candidates?

JohnA

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

On the subject of dogs…

What are you worried your dog will do during the night? If he's at risk of straight up running away, I probably wouldn't bring him in the woods.

I backpack with a LOT of dogs. Some like sleeping near their owners under tarps, some sleep independently outside. All have free range. Many wake up early and walk around. None have ever been lost, nor attacked by animals. The biggest worry around here is that your dog might get caught in a hunter's trap. What behavior do you expect from your dog? Why?

If the weather is bad, all dogs will by happy with shelter under your tarp. If the weather isn't bad, why even set up a tarp?

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Smee… the other Jack…has his 35 pound springer sleep in his JRB BMBH hammock between his legs or to the side of his legs….Because the BMBH is a true flat hammock the dog does not slide into Jack…

The real beauty is that Jack uses a No Sniveller or a Stealth in warmer weather and Bonnie, his dog, sticks her head out the resealable head hole in the middle while Jack's head is at the normal end…Really a slick set up.

Pan

ross erickson

@themaestro

Locale: colorado

i have not ran into any other 2 person hammocks. i would love to see one made out of cuben…:) ive been starting to lean towards using a hammock but i could only use it if im not hiking with my fiance. im curious of how comfy a two person hammock would be. a two person quilt would be a plus with this setup! sorry i dont have any advise for which tarp to pair this with.
    peace
    .maestro.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools