Topic

What I would like to see on a pack…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What I would like to see on a pack…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

Hi Ben,

This list is for above tree line.
    When I'm under the treeline, I'll take a SMD Serenity Bug net, and usually use a 10×8 tarp instead of the solomid- a little heavier, but not much. I like the views and sense of space with the tarp, and the security of the solomid for heavier weather up high.

cheers,
    fred

Kevin Tjaden

@ktjaden

Locale: West

I like to eat while I hike so I would want access to food. I would also like to be able to stop and boil some water without having to open up the main pack. I guess I want everything accessible immediately except for the things I use to sleep in.

I like the water bottle idea over the hips but would you anticipate any of this getting in the way of your arms/elbows? I would be very interested to see what you come up with.

Kevin Tjaden

@ktjaden

What about taking a cue from the military and creating an ultralight version of the following. You would be able to add the things you need where you need them. Base material could be a lightweight mesh with 1/2" webbing as the attachments.

Molle type belt

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I like to eat while I hike so I would want access to food. I would also like to be
    > able to stop and boil some water without having to open up the main pack. I guess
    > I want everything accessible immediately except for the things I use to sleep in.
    LOL!
    Yeah, we all know that problem.

My reaction is to suggest you should take it just a bit more easy and enjoy the stops for food. No real hassle about opening a pack up for food and stove and water.

Cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I like to eat while I hike so I would want access to food. I would also like to be
    able to stop and boil some water without having to open up the main pack. I guess
    I want everything accessible immediately except for the things I use to sleep in.
    LOL"

Buy an Ohm, or some similarly configured pack, and you should be able to do all of that. Hip belt pockets, spacious side pockets, and a kangaroo pouch provide ample space for all of that if you are not carrying trad backpacking gear. I wouldn't try it with a 2 liter pot, though. ;}

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

You are usually required to carry a bear canister in the Sierra's so it is very important to pull out your lunch before you head out each morning. It's no huge issue to pull stuff out of your pack at lunch though as long as it is all sort of compartmentalized. It's then easy to repack it before going back on the trail.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Before I knew better I carried (along with a 7lb. Low Alpine pack) a water belt used for running. It has little pockets for food and space for a 20 oz. water. I liked it because I do not like drinking out of hoses. I wold place it halfway between my hip and belly button so my swinging arms would not hit it. I continued using it when I went to a Gregory Z55 because that pack had not way to grab water easily.

Now, with a GG Mariposa Plus, I can just reach back and grab my water. I know it is the reach back and grab that the original poster is complaining about but it really is no problem for me. I noticed that with my GG Murmur the pockets are not as handy as they seem to be a bit higher and make it hard to grab my water bottle. However, with that pack I usually have such a light load I can just roll it off of one shoulder and grab my water and keep on truckin'.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

To me the Aarn kicks in at about 20 lbs total weight (including the pack , food and water) . Below that I like the ULA with the small hip belt pockets.
    The great point with the Aarn is that as well as having a more balanced weight I also do have access without having to stop, to food/water/camera/binos/map/compass/hat/gloves/bandanna/ spare glasses. I also have there my emergency and first aid kit as well as personal hygiene (toilet paper/snow peg/hand sanitiser)
    For the UL brigade , maybe the Marathon Magic 30 (33l) will work. Same design, similar features , smaller and lighter.(28 oz)
    Aarn Marathon 30
    At the end of the day, carrying 26 lbs with the Aarn feels (to me) better than 24 with the Circuit or an Osprey.
    Keep in mind that the Aarn FF has a custom made waterproof liner (it works…) so take about 4oz off if you remove it.

Franco

Kevin Tjaden

@ktjaden

The ULA Ohm looks like a cool pack, but it is about 3 times the size I need. I hate to admit it, but 99% of my trips are limited to under three nights. I mostly pack with a Mountainsmith "day" lumbar pack which is ridiculously heavy for what it is and lacks any storage in the front.

As far as bears, I don't hike in the Sierra's and where I do hike (Idaho/Nevada/Utah) we are not required to take cannisters. When I want to thwart the ringtails or the chimpmunks I just stuff it in a nalgene bottle and throw it over a limb.

So, on topic something like a belt that I could put different "pockets" on depending on what I needed would work pretty good for me if it went all the way around the waist. Pockets in front, bottles ont he side and the rest in back. I estimate I would need the back to be 10" x 10" x 5" (500 cubic inches) or equivalent.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

My Exos seems to lack for nothing that I want in a pack. Aarn packs are some of the most awkward beasts to pack and take on/off IMHO. Comfy once that's all sorted, but not the best for those of us who need to make frequent stops to remove the pack, and platys don't work at all in an Aarn.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

What would be totally cool is if they could figure out a way to make the Exos adjustable! The vertical aluminum shafts on the frame could extend/collapse like trekking poles, and the mesh panel could have some sort of tensioning device also. I think it could be done, but am not sure how practical it'd be for a company to do. In either case, I'd be interested in one.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools