Topic

Member’s Only – Scratch and Dent Sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Member’s Only – Scratch and Dent Sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

To me, that sounds like a marketing triumph for REI.

About 30 years ago, there was only one REI store in the San Francisco Bay Area, in Berkeley. Members used to drive for an hour or two to get to the store in advance of the Spring Sale. They would camp out overnight on the sidewalk outside the store. People with clipboards would circulate through the waiting line to get their petitions for whatever signed. Periodically, the store employees would come outside with a bullhorn to announce some schedule update, and the crowd would be in a feverish pitch by opening time. Then the chain would be removed from the front doors and it looked like the Mongol Hoardes descending upon the castle.

I remember purchasing a few "steals" that way, and then I was heading for the checkout, but there was a table with a stack of Everest books on sale. Some Chris Bonington book. I was just about to stick it under my arm when I looked up, and there was Bonington, himself.

It was all quite a spectacle.
    –B.G.–

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Yeah, that was my experience at the perimeter REI.. In Atlanta especially (maybe everywhere) the people that shop at REI are the total yuppie stereotype hiker that knows absolutely zilch about zilch.

I mean, people just went after everything that looked good. No idea what they were buying, mostly brand fixated.

Lots of college kids.

I saw one pair of dudes run around with a buggy and grab everything they saw, and then went to a quiet corner of the store to sort through it all. They didn't even check sizes.

For me, REI is only to buy general gear that I'm not sure can take the abuse I'm prone to give it, since their return policy is tops. I don't think I'll do another scratch and dent in Atlanta..

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My first S&D sale at REI…

My very first backpack was an REI Morning Star which I ended up returning after two trips. Lo and behold, I saw it displayed among many other packs at the following S&D sale! All the time I was there, nobody even gave it a second look. I bought some stuff that morning — but returned again in the afternoon for something else. The S&D was still going on, although most things were long gone by then.

But my poor backpack was still there — the only backpack left. I heard its pitiful cries. I felt so bad I almost bought it back. But I didn't. It was a sad day.

Ed Engel

@doorknob

Locale: West of what you think is west

A very special person. Wow did he do some wild climbs. I have some of his books.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Tad,
    Not only did Juston bring coffee but he had an expresso maker powered by an extension cord going to the back of car where he set up a generator. (The warmed cups were a nice touch!) He was making the best maciexpressolattinos you ever tasted.

Also, we came up with a great idea. You know all the spare gear that you can't even peddle on gear swap. Go to the next scratch and dent sale and set up a booth and sell it all. Based on what I saw, you may get mobbed.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Yeah that's a great idea, people there will buy nearly *ANYTHING*.

I mean, only the absolutely worst destroyed crap (that never should have been offered for re-sale in the first place) gets left behind.

Hell, half the time the prices aren't really that great either.

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools