Topic

Cut the tongue out…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cut the tongue out…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pete Clarke

@calapidder

Locale: Pacific NW

of my shoe? Not my motor-mouth friends, if that's what you were thinking. In "Beyond Backpacking" Ray Jardine gets poetic on his love for tongue-less shoes. However, I am a bit cautious on this. I have no problem modifying my gear, but a fancy pair of Inov-8 shoes cost a lot, and this is an irreversible operation. Any comments? Any experience with this?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Here is a link to what I did to a pair of Trail Runners back in 2006:

Trail Runners Make-Overl

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

If you are someone who regularly laces their shoes up tightly, then I wouldn't do this. The foam in the tongue can protect your foot from the lace pressure.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

FWIW, I agree with Zach

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

But the sides of the tongue could be slit so that the shoe could accept a foot that has grown a little larger correct and open up some room? Just have a few pairs of 14s that got a little bit too small.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Brett

Don't like your chances.

Cheers

Pete Clarke

@calapidder

Locale: Pacific NW

Well, I guess I won't do it then. Just curious what other hikers thought. I read about the modified shoes on the above link, but there wasn't really any review on how the shoes performed. I am using shock cord instead of laces, and the holes the laces go through are designed so that they wouldn't provide any discomfort to my feet. I was just trying to lighten the shoes a bit, and maybe provide some added ventilation. Then again, if it's wet or sandy, I would be concerned about keeping my feet comfy. But, the allure of lighter shoes keeps calling….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools