Topic

Need some input on this before I start sewing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need some input on this before I start sewing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

This is a continuation of tarp7 below.

Intend to do a thruhike of the AT and use this as my main shelter. If I can get my stuff together I will probably leave around the end of January from south to north. I like cold weather hiking so it will work for me.

Flat 5'x12' tarp (with a 2'-6" beak) Poncho as a fly, fold up back 3' for extended poncho. I will probably carry a driducks jacket in colder weather or an extra UL plastic rain jacket in warm weather.

Set up as a fly, fold in the back corners, OAL 8'-6" and 3'9" high at peak supported by a tracking pole.

The inner mesh tent will have tyvek front doors with an L zip, and the back and sides of .7 oz mesh. Maybe just a vert zipper on the back side for extra gear. Size 2'8" W x 7'6" long.

I could also make the doors out of WP material which would be more sturdy.

Probably will have a a silnylon floor.
    1.25 oz tyvek doors
    .07 oz mesh

Inner tent should weigh about 8oz.

Tarp/fly should weigh about

14 oz made of 1.3 sil nylon (22oz total), or

11 oz made out of spinaker (19oz total) or

7oz made of .65 oz cuben (15 oz total.
    but I am concerned about the durability of cuben day after day for 6 months.

I could also add a vestibule in front, but then its almost turing into a shaped tarp.

I will also carry a tyvek bivy in winter.

Images, qtr, side, below.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

dale stuart
    Spectator

@onetwolaugh

Locale: Pacific NW

I'm not sure where your support goes, will it cutinto interier space? I made a Gossamer gear "The One" clone but with 1.3 oz silnylon. It weighs in at 27 oz w/6 tall eaton stakes. I use the tall stakes because I get abetter pitch and ventilation.

The One Clone

dale stuart
    Spectator

@onetwolaugh

Locale: Pacific NW

Here's a view from another angle. This is my goto tent for solo hiking.Ventalation view

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Nice job.

The single pole goes in the front and leans in. I ended up extending the big (5×9) campmor tarp/poncho and adding the beak as a trial. Set it up several different ways and it works well.

Tons of room for one person. Basically 5×9 and about 4' high at the peak.

3 sides can be totally closed to the ground so a good wind shed.

The 4th side partially open, but very protected by the beak.

Pitched lower, like for natsy weather, you would have 4 side full protection, but that was the reason for the tyvek bug tent door.

The campmore mod Weighs 14oz, so a plain jane 1.3 sil would be a hair lighter.

Have not gotten around to the bug tent yet.

I think I am going to redo it in Cuben. Would take about 6 yards so it would be expensive but it would only weigh about 6 oz. $180 though. Ouch.

Right now I am going to make a cuben fly for my spitfire tent with a bigger vestibule and swap out the poles to carbon fiber, so I am into that.

Should weigh about 31 oz. The inner tent weighs 1# even. The stock fly weighs 1# also. A cuben fly should be about 5-6 oz

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I am concerned about the durability of cuben day after day for 6 months.

Opinion only: what matters is how well you reinforce the seams and the hem and the anchor points. They take all the load. Look after them and the rest of the fabric will be fine.

Cheers

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

If I build it out of cuben it will be glued with aquaseal.

Really tough stuff. It glues everything to everything, same to same or mixed including polycro.

The only thing it failed on before the material failed was polycro, but it would be good enough for a bivy that was not over stressed.

Reinforing areas could be done with anything, cuben, silnylon etc.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

where are you getting CUBEN that costs $30yd? I just got some .33 from CUBIC TECH for under $19m, compared to $26/yd from Quest. You must order in 9m increments but it is the same cost to get 9m at $20m as 6yd at $30, plus 3extra m/yds to play with. (not sure what weight you're planning to use, so the cost will vary)

-Tim

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Thanks for the heads up

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools