Topic

Bay Area BPL Winter Camping Thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bay Area BPL Winter Camping Thread

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Ok kids, how many of you are down for a little snow fun this winter. Thinking about Glacier Point Rd. to Dewey Point and Peter Grub Hut near Tahoe this winter. Time for us to hone our winter skills and have some fun. Who would be interested????

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

I'll go on the record early and state that I am in. I have never been to Peter Grub Hut and it sounds like a great time. Dewey Point is incredible in the winter. It seems like a popular spot for snow camping for good reason.

Dewey Point

Dewey Point March 2009

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Never been snow camping, so would love to join (and learn!). I'll have to shell out some dough for new gear I expect, but that's all part of the fun.

Also, I cannot make it to the late summer thread due to work/previous plans…but wish I could join and hope you guys have fun!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

Great spot, I have been there before.

I would be interested in going, pending on family and work schedule.

I was there a few years ago with the Sierra Club, learning how to camp in the snow.

As a matter of safety, should there be an limitation on who can go based on level of experience?

I myself only have done the training class with two trips, so I am hardly qualified to lead a group and just have the basics of snow camping.

Anyway, here is a link to a photo essay of that trip and area.

Amazing views of the Valley….when I was there, the Boyscouts were using the area for building snow shelters/caves.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=14449

-Tony

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Ken: I would love to go. I'll watch the thread as winter approaches.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

great guys! Dewey Point is a great hike and only 3 miles or so. I have winter camping experience and I am sure a few others will too. I think a cap would be a good idea. Most likely in Jan.-Feb. area. Long time away, just putting it out there

Rene de bos

@piemel

Locale: SF Bay Area

I might be interested pending schedules

No experience really to speak off so understand if that disqualifies me

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

no it does not disqualify you. You have to learn somehow. Just keep your eyes posted for this

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

Depending on the schedule, I'd love to finally meet up with you guys. Seems I'm out at Dewey 2-3x a season for an over-nighter with Josh of late.

Don't worry about experience, not at all, this is the perfect place to get your feet wet(LOL), with an easy exit 4-5mi away if your feet really do get wet. Pack warm and dry, and, barring a storm , it'll be easy as car camping.

Hey Ken, I've been try to track your Sept Bay Area trip plan, when and where is that?

cheers,
    -Michael

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Micheal, Sept. is still up in the air. Not sure yet, it could be the third weekend of Sept. and it will be I'm guessing Dardanelle Lake off of Hwy 89. If you were coming from down south, you'd take 395 to 88 to 89. It probably would be a 6-7 hour drive

Michael Popov

@mpopov

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

It was a lot of fun on the last trip to Dewey Point. Dumped 9 feet of snow overnight. Count me in anytime! But I could use a ride from Bay Area.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Hey Ken sounds fun. Never done any thing like this before, always wanted to though. Let me know what other kind of gear I might need. Still up for the trip in Sept so far. Jack

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Here is a great site I came across with many of the Winter Huts in the Sierras:
    Sierra Ski Huts

To many places to visit!

Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

I come from the land down South of the Tehachapies, but I hope you won't hold it against me. I would love to join you guys on a Dewey Point trip. I've got a fair ammount of snowcamping experience and gear (snowshoes, tent) to share. Scott Nelson

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Scott you are more than welcome to come!! These are open for anyone. Love your avatar pic!

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Lets go snow camping, lets go snow camping. Hey Ken I have a good bag and clothes but no 4 season tent or snow shoes. Will my Six Moons Lunar Solo do it? or I also have a Eureka Spitfire Solo. I'm also looking for a light down jacket any sugestions. Thanks Jack

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

If previous Winter plans were an example of this trip, no one is going to brave any threat of weather.

With solid weather reports, I've gone with just a bivy on multiple Winter snow trips. Granted, I also went with just a bivy and a tarp and got dumped on, but we sorta ignored the storm warnings. I bet your Lunar Solo would be fine. If there is snow, you'll brush it off through the night as needed. Probably get a lot of condensation. It's just one night out, though.

You can rent snow shoes at Badger Pass, the portal to Dewey. But they suck. Some good MSR Denali snowshoes can be rented at REI or A16. If that's unavailable to you, maybe someone can pick em up and get reimbursed.

Temps probably won't drop below 15F, and will most likely be somewhere between there and 26F. Unless you generally run cold, you can get by with a lot less than a big puffy arctic jacket. Here, I'll prep a gear guide to put some of this in perspective.

-Michael

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I likely won't be there. I think I'm skipping winter and heading to south america :)

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I missed Dewey Point last year but managed to go a few times to Mount Gorgonio last winter. Count me in if you go in January or February.

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Jack, you seem to be livin the life, more power to ya.
    Enjoy South America. We expect progress reports.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

I'm up for any thing this winter! Getting a bunch of new gear and can't wait to use it. I'm all in!!! Jack

Morgan Rucks
    BPL Member

@rucksmtr

I'm in, i love snow camping, i went to oastrader ski hut last year. let me know the dates.

Ed Collyer

@ecollyer

Locale: East Bay Area

I would love to go snow camping with a larger group. I am confused if most people would want to huts or actual winter camping, in snow caves or quinzees. I am new to this site but have done quite a bit of winter camping. Do most people plan on using snow shoes, telemark skis, unsure?

There are endless possibilities in the Sierras, outside of Yosemite, where we can bring dogs.My Dog

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Hi Ken, please count me and possibly my wife in depending on timing. We're winter and 3 season equipped, but don't have crampons or our own backcountry skis and avalanche gear yet other than shovels – for winter, we've got snowshoes, Hilleberg Allak tent, insulated boots, proper clothing layers, etc. Also finishing replacing our bags with quilts or other bags (sold our old bags before moving to Palo Alto last year), but should make our choices soon.

We snowshoe backpacked in Bear Valley at Alpine Lake last January with the Sierra Club. Was a good skills builder and gear testing ground. Did lots of winter snowshoeing and skiing before that in much colder temps in N Vermont and Lake Placid, NY.

For carpooling, we have an AWD Subaru Outback H6 3L with Thule 17 cu. ft box which is more than enough room for us to take another 2-3 adults with their gear.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

I'm up for this trip also Ken.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools