Topic

3.2 oz. $7 shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 3.2 oz. $7 shirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Millette Jones

@ttaboro

Locale: Southeast

I just received a couple of "Players" 100% nylon under-shirts that I ordered online. My first concern out of the box was how thin they seemed. My husband said he couldn't really see through it in the house but out in the sun or after it's been sweated on might be a different story.

As you can see from the photos you can see right through the fabric when held up to light. For guys no issue but I'm a bit nervous about hiking in this shirt. It feels great though, again since it's a men's shirt it's a bit long but if I can hem it that will drop the weight even more.

Anyway for $7 even if I only use it as a sleep shirt you just can't beat that price for 3.2 ounces.

Edited to add…this weight is for a size large.

players shirt

see thru shirt

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Where did you find these?

Thanks Jim

Millette Jones

@ttaboro

Locale: Southeast

If you google "player's nylon undershirt" you'll find several online sellers. I got mine from http://www.chockcatalog.com they had the best price/shipping cost for me and arrived very quickly…even shipping about 2 hours after I placed my order! So I was quite impressed with that particular company. I also noticed the shirts were made in a "big and tall" variety but not from chockcatalog.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I looked at a couple of sites that carry these 3.2 oz nylon shirts and none mention if the shirt provides any UV protection. Has anyone here drilled a little deeper to find more specifications on this product?

Stephen Cohen
    Spectator

@esteban

Locale: Northeast

I've found these shirts at a local uniform/big and tall shop for about the same price. I highly doubt that you will find any technical specs on them besides the information already stated in this thread. I've used them before, but never really had them anywhere I would need a lot of sun protection. Still, I don't think they would do the trick in the desert or above treeline where it's necessary to have UV protection. They are fairly transparent. They feel great until they get soaked with sweat, and then feel disgusting like siranwrap stuck to your body.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Clothing is rated in UPF. The shirt mentioned is see through so the rating would likely be around 5 (wild aced guess). You could use that wash-in sun protection, but I'd doubt it would raise it much since it is rather sheer.

It's not a shirt that "fair-skinned" persons or those with a history of melanoma or any other skin cancer should use while hiking in the sun.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

My son and I brought these to use in camp and at night. We both found them very comfortable to sleep in. And at 3.2 oz it's hard to find anything lighter.

Note that we did not wear them hiking, just at night.

We also got very fast shipping and good customer service from mensunderwear.net. They sent the wrong size in one case and the correct one arrived the day after I called. And they told us to just keep the incorrect one (which fit my wife, so she got a freebie).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools