Topic

BPL ultralight pillows

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

Has anyone used the ultralight pillows for extended periods of time? I have used the dual sides pillow for 5-7 days with no problems. I will be on a 4 week hike this summer and fiqure I need to take more than 1 for the trip..Your thoughts???

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Two of them have just deflated in the middle of the night…over and over and over again. I used to have the dual air, and they were better about this. If you really rely on a pillow (and can't make do with shoes, pack, clothes, moss-covered rocks…) then I'd take two for a long hike.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I'm planning on using the dual-chambered pillows on a trip in April, but we'll only be out for two nights so I'm feeling pretty good about what I'm seeing.

I hope they will last for at least two trail nights without a problem – I got tired of waiting for BPL to restock so I had to buy 50 of them (the smallest quantity available from the manufacturer)! I'm handing them out to my friends for the trip and am counting on them holding air (or I'll be taking a lot of grief).

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I've probably got 10 days on my first dual chamber pillow without any problems.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

Joe. 3 should do it then. 2 in my pack and 1 sent with my food caches. Hey, I'd bring a gun down on the Mexican border too. Scared to post this in the orginial…after that last post…thanks

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

If you are careful with them and test them out first (I've had duds that leaked out during the night) they seem to last a while. I've used the same one for probably 30 nights so far. On the plus side, if you had a failure, a dedicated pillow is easy to do without, given the ease of using other items.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Of my 3 pack of dual chambered ones, I used one for over a year on many trips with no problems at all. I gave one away, and it is still in use. The last one I used recently and it leaked down right "out of the box". I would say that if one holds up for the first night, it should be good for a long time.
    All in all, one of my best gear purchases!

Kevin:
    Want to sell any of those?
    I have almost purchased a 50ct box, but thought better of it (for a change). I am in dire need, and have given up hope that BPL will restock. Are yours the duals?

Edit: PM sent

Joshua Gilbert

@joshcgil2

Locale: Seattle

Ditto kevin, if you want to divest I'd gladly pay you the BPL asking price for the pillow (plus shipping of course)

Steven Bergeron
    Spectator

@theturk-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have both the small single chamber and the dual chamber pillows.

I've tested 2 of each type with daily use, at partial (50 – 75%) inflation. All 4 failed in 2 – 3 weeks. The dual chamber pillows failed 1 chamber at a time, the 2nd chamber failing a few days to a week after the 1st chamber failed.

I still like them and continue to use the dual chamber on trips – I find them more comfortable.

For a few days on the trail I would only bring 1 and deal with any failure. But for anything approaching 2 weeks or more I'd bring 2 or be ready with an alternate plan.

Of course, if you do bring 2 you could probably get a few more days even if both had 1 chamber failure, by using them together (with some duct tape?).

Hope this helps.

John Gluth

@jgluth

I took two of the dual chamber pillows to Philmont last year (10 trail nights plus 2 travel nights each way)…had to go to my spare on about the 7th night on the trail. My tentmate had a similar experience with his.

My 4 year old 3L platypus also sprung a leak on day 7 or 8 (right at the filler neck)…fortunately I'd brought a backup of that, too!

John

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I have imported 50 dual chambered pillows of the same type as BPL into England and could sell some on if there is a demand.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools