Topic

New Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists New Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Well, Bob, did he ever miss?

I mean, I'd look at his percentage before taking it away and, well, never giving the guys personal belongings back again. You seriously never gave it back? Was he 12?

I guess I have a question, and forgive me as I'm fairly newer to the UL way of thinking:

Which scenario gets me kicked out of the "UL Club" faster for "excessive and unnecessary weight negligence?" (pretty sure that's article B, section 91):

If I take my beautiful, stunning yet "large" Buck 119 Special with it's amazingly yummy cocobolo wood handle out with me on my backpacking excursions (weight penalty approximately 13 oz.). …even if my base back weight is 9 pounds, excluding food and water?

OR…

I consciously don't eat well, don't exercise often enough, have one pint of Ben & Jerry's too many every couple months, don't take it easy with the ranch dressing when it's "salad night," and have thus packed on an extra 3 pounds around my gut (that's being really fair, too, could be much more…)

I'd rather be in excellent physical condition, aided by the energy of a sustained healthy diet, and carry a large "macho" knife, than be overweight, wondering why I'm sluggish, and slice my finger on my razor blade aka "knife" while I'm trying to open something or repair a piece of gear.

I say if you have a good base weight, carry what you like and what you want. Not every guy that carries a large knife does so to be more of a man. I don't think it's fair to generalize like that. You've had negative experiences in your past with macho "Big Bladers," so be it. But don't pretend you know why every guy that carries a larger knife does so. If that larger knife fits into the smaller parameters of an UL base weight, I see no issue whatsoever.

I think I may take my beautifully ginormous Buck 119 Special with me on my PCT adventure. I just need to find someone who can make a custom unobtanium scabbard with a cuben fiber hang cord for it.

Dug
    http://thf2.wordpress.com

David Ure

@familyguy

If you can't carry a 4.5oz, 4" knife you need to do 1 of 2 things. Either lose some bodyfat or up the squats in the off season.

"A mora won't break under normal use."

Three have broken on me. The blades are crap.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools