Topic

Rancheria Falls Trip in April

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Rancheria Falls Trip in April

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 151 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

April 18th it is. I might have one of my buddies coming along and maybe my wife too. Depends.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

This sounds like another fun get together. I should be able to make this trip, barring any unplanned life changing events.

I have a large amount of crash space available for out of the area travelers who don't mind coming into Oakland.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Locale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras

Ken,

Thanks for getting this going. It sounds like fun, and I am looking forward to it.

Who knows — perhaps we'll get a group of us from the Bay Area hiking together from time to time — locally until the Sierra's open up for the summer, then at least some trips over there.

— MV

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

Ken: This might work for me; not sure yet. And I'm only going if you are just as belligerent as in Pt. Reyes, otherwise what's the point? Unless I bring my daughter this time: in that case you better be an angel. :) (Parents are supposed to be worried about who their kids hang out with, not the other way around.)

Rancheria Falls is a quota trailhead. Ken: When do you plan to get a permit? I.e. What's the deadline for when we have to commit?

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Since I was AWOL from that trip, what's this "belligerence" bit? :)

— MV

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

i think he's referring to the drunken, ultralight knife fight

ken won, but only because he was the only one able to draw blood with a 1/4" blade

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Bob no beligerence. I was just a little entertaining for everyone during the evening with our liabations. Just getting razzed here.

Jeremy, as you drive into Rancheria you past a Ranger Station Kiosk that you get your permit and pay your park fee. There they go over the trail, regulations, give you your permit, etc. This trailhead is not one that you need to get a permit in advance. In fact as far as I believe, there is no quotoa for the trailhead, due to it not being one of the less popular in Yosemite.

No worries if anyone brings family. If my wife goes, I am an angel (wink), and if she does not and anyone bring their's…please don't worry. I will be quiet! LOL!

Bob, I got you pm. Let me check into carpooling. Should not be a problem. Though the only problem would be if I want to go up to the backpackers campground at the trailhead on Friday. Would that work for you? I work half days on Fridays.

Jeremy Pendrey
    BPL Member

@pendrey

Locale: California

FYI, According to Yosemite's website, the Rancheria Falls trailhead has 21 reservable spots per day and 14 first come first served spots. I doubt it's a problem in April, but it would make sense for those who are sure they are going to reserve a permit, especially on a weekend.

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

Going up whenever you want on Fri works for me.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

I'll try to make it as I've never seen the waterfalls in full force. That said, it's pretty cool to be their in late summer when you can really play in the water (in the photo below, I'm jumping off a bridge above Rancheria Falls).

Casey jumping off the bridge above Rancheria Falls.

If my wife and son (who will be 16-months in April) can make it, I hope Ken is at least as fun as he was in Point Reyes. I agree with Jay, tone it up, not down!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I think that I am heading up that Friday afternoon. Take advantage of some nice and quiet time, do a little roaming around and just relaxing. There are backpackers campsites available, that no one seems to use there so the more the merrier. Bob has expressed interest in carpooling for those in the South Bay

Lane Parker

@lstparkercs-com

Locale: Bay Area

The April 18 overnight works for me. Count me in.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Right on Lane, it should be fun!!!!!

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

I'm tentatively going. Haven't been to Yosemite yet, so really excited about the coming summer. Hope that weekend stays open and all.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Nathan, this is just the cusp of Yosemite. Wait until you get expolore the backcountry it is amazing. Then you need to check out SEKI too. Rancheria is almost frontcountry backpacking but serves the purpose!! April 18th is now set. Let's do it!!!!

michelle Annett

@andrewz

Finally you guys are doing a trip almost in my backyard hah. I to will be trying to go and so will my girlfriend. Ill post back here to confirm it as we get closer but hopefully we can. I live right by mountain house (to those who come to yosemite a lot) which is the turn off to go up to basslake or stay going straight into yosemite :-D. So hopefully with that being said i should not have to much trouble going.

Sadly with the recession hit and how i could not afford what i wanted to get, i should be able to take the hazing for some of my heavy items :-p.

Looks forward to meeting you guys if every thing goes well.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Just wanted to bump this up to the top here. Just wondering how many are interested in going??

Robert Blean
    BPL Member

@blean

I am still interested.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Still interested.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

I will be checking into permits and such. Cool. I pm'd everyone on here so let's hope for a good turnout!!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

I am interested in going, but my family won't be able to make it because I can not get Friday off to give the family one day of rest between days on the trail.

So it will be my friend Dave and myself.

-Tony

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Great Tony. Will mark the two of you down then. Great to have the two of you along!

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

ken,

got your pm – i'm still planning on going & same for Lane – saw him this weekend & he's looking forward to the trip.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Great Carry! It should be a fun trip!

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I got your PM ken, I'd like to go if there is room under the permit.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 151 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools