Topic

Whats the weight/cost of convienince?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Whats the weight/cost of convienince?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

>Lightweight camping is LESS expensive than traditional camping! This is a truism!

Not in my experience. This may be true if you only go out a few times per year (in which case you probably wouldn't have the experience to pull off UL), but if you hike a lot, the cost of replacing lighter gear (which almost always wears out faster than heaveir equivalents) is significant. I have found this true of nearly everything but good down sleeping bags (which are definitely more expensive than inferior down or synthetic bags).

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Titanium is always more expensive than aluminium.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

I am still trying to get a 10lb base weight. I’m at 11-15lbs depending on weather. I have struggled with gear, I often end up buying traditional gear that is “light” then end up frustrated because I spent a lot of money and I didn’t realize there was a cheaper UL alternative. For example, I got this really nice Osprey Aether 70 that weighs 4lb 9oz a year ago. Ya it’s really comfortable but it was over 200 bucks. I just got a Golite Pinnacle for $85 after reading UL sites. To think I could have directed that money towards a down bag frustrates the hell out of me. I have an embarrassing amount of brand new gear that I will never use. I also really have no business spending a lot of money on these things (3 kids, mortgage, car payment…….. you get what I mean).

I also call the 3 heavys the 3 expensives. I am all UL except my sleeping bag. This site has been an invaluable resource for me. I appreciate people who come up with clever stuff like, use a 1 liter disposable water bottle instead of a Nalgaene, it’s nearly free and super light (That is just an easy example, there are dozens of others).

The 3 expensives can be gotten around if you have a lot of time for MYOG, I don’t.

I like the idea of this scale of importance weight –vs- need – vs- value. I actually do this to an extent on my gear spreadsheet. I use a 1-4 scale. This is all completely relative to me and what I need:

1 – essentials (Sleep, Shelter, Pack, Water treatment, food….)
    2 – secondary essentials (“I won’t die without”…… Stove, Toiletries, secondary water container, some meds like Tylenol, deet….)
    3 – nice to haves (extra stuff sacks, knife, potty trowel, salt and pepper…..)
    4 – excess comfort items (bottle of spirits, MP3 player, bag of cheese poofs….)

Everything on my lest gets a 1-4. So when I pack I know the 1’s have to go, and most likely the 2’s. Then I can start adding 3’s and 4’s. If my pack is heavier than I want it, I start shaving off 3’s and 4’s.

This all probably seems to elaborate for the experienced UL packers but I am a noobie to UL and it helps me quite a bit. I sort out the importance of the item well before I am actually packing so that if a get clouded judgment while packing I can refer to the list.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sean
    "Franco how many shelters/bags/packs in all the years did it take you before you found out the lightest gear that kept you safe?"

Fair question…
    Apart from what I have purchased , having worked for 30 years within meters of most of the best outdoor shops in Melbourne I have had the opportunity to try in the shops and borrow several bits of gear ( I reciprocated by offering good deals and maybe good advice on camera gear)
    At the moment I am down to nine shelters but only use the Contrail.
    Before I started to "play" with it and work out how to use it to it's full potential it did not look the shelter of choice for me but now that I know what it can do , that is the one I use.
    I was rather happy a few years ago with the Osprey Aether 60 (much lighter and more comfortable than my previous packs) when I ordered the ULA Circuit just to see how it performed. That is the one I often use now , as well as the Amp and one of my Aarn's.
    I do know how to use a digital SLR, for example, but still use my very so-so Pentax Optio because I could not be bothered taking a heavier camera. A point system would not help me because I cannot think of what I could leave out of the pack to compensate.
    We do take notice of other's opinions but having eliminated personal dislikes (for example hammocks and tarps for me) all I know is what "could" work for me not what will .
    BTW, over the years I have seen customers coming in to buy a camera armed with huge charts filled with all sorts of data. After having ticked all the appropriate boxes they usually end up with the one that has the "right" features but not necessarily the one that they will enjoy using. They are the ones that come back to buy a lens that happens to fit the "wrong" camera but not theirs…
    Basically what I am saying is that a point system would not work for me,personal experience does (trial and error) but yes it could work for some.
    Franco
    Short version
    (IMHO)
    Newbies : a chart will not tell you what you will like/tolerate and what you won't
    Experienced : you know the weight of your walking poles but you also know why you use them.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools