Topic

Need some winter clothing advise

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need some winter clothing advise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rod McLennan

@rod4president

I am in the market for a few things and could use some advise…

1. Synthetic thermal layer (was thinking about MEC and Monbell)
    2. Ultralight Shell (was thinking about montane featherlight)
    3. Pants (how about the REI switchback?)
    4. Affordable softshell

I will be using them for hiking, adventure racing, and misc outdoor activity, so compactable and breathable are key. I welcome any advise you might have, I don’t want to drop a lot of cash on something that wont perform well.

Thanks

Rod
    TeamFatOtter.com

Keith Franchois

@kmfranchois

Have you looked at the MEC Pamir? It’s made of Powershield Ltwt. and it’s about $115.

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

According to the articles on bpl.com, powershield should be avoided for active use as it doesn’t breath all that well.

If you look on STP, there are several Schoeller Dryskin (or Dryskin Extreme) softshells listed. Might want to consider the Cloudveil Prospector softshells as well. Though, I’ve read, they are not for extreme cold temps.

Colin Thomas

@fullofadventure

I would have to agree with Tony about powershield not breathing well and is not suitable unless you are in cold weather. I own the Arc’teryx Gamma MX pants and wore them on a walk today (doing laundry). It was flat ground for like 5k and at 12C and I overheated. They are better than windstopper or other similar fabrics and do have there place.

I would say look at products that use Pertex Equilibrium, Cloudveil’s Inertia, Schoeller Dynamic, and perhaps even Arc’teryx’s Tweave Durastretch lightweight. I think these fabrics are better suited to the type weather and environment most of use will use them in and weigh half what the others do.

Right now I am playing around with Equilibrium samples that I got and it looks to be very cool stuff.

As to the ultralight shell I would go with something Pertex made by Montane. I own the Aero and love it; it is highly wind and water resistant while still remaining breathable.

Keith Franchois

@kmfranchois

I’m a bit confused- I thought the normal weight powershield was not supposed to be good for active use whereas the powershield lightweight was actually supposed to be a good choice- hence some of Ryan’s high regard for products such as the Golite Kinetic Jacket and Arc’Teryx Gamma MX pants. I also thought Schoeller products, with some amount of spandex in them, were supposed to retain more water and not dry out as well as powershield making powershield a better option in general. Please help clear up my confusion- what are the BPL articles you’re referring to?

Tony Burnett
    Spectator

@tlbj6142

Locale: OH--IO

Searhing this site is a bit difficult.

There is a winter backpacking article off of the winter checklist that talks about the Arc’Teryx jacket. the comments about slow drying times for schoeller softshells (Dryskin, Dryskin Extreme and Dynamic) is in the same article, or maybe the softshell pants(?) article. There is also a softshell materials article which touches on a few of these materials/topics as well.

I don’t recall seeing anything about PS Lite. In fact this is the first I’ve heard of it. But I don’t claim to be an expert.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools