Topic

To Pack or Not to Pack? What constitutes an ‘essential’ item in a lightweight hiker’s overnight pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable To Pack or Not to Pack? What constitutes an ‘essential’ item in a lightweight hiker’s overnight pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

Hello Jim. There are those who don't consider the range of conditions/possibilities they will encounter when in the backcountry and go so light AND don't have the skills to improvise when they encounter an injury or weather change they didn't expect. As "educated" lightweight backpackers it's our mission to encourage lightweight travel WITH the responsibility and skilly needed to be safe.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Hey Kevin,
    Would completely agree that the right skill set along with an idea of expected conditions are critical. I’m guessing the vast majority who travel in a UL manner are experienced & have done the research before starting out at the trail head. Educating the public is something that really needs to be done up here, does not seem to be many of us in this part of the country. Retailers & outdoor institutions don’t seem to be getting involved with UL seriously & people seem to be jumping in mostly with what they have found on this web site (really good!) or have been advised by a retailer/fellow hiker. Try to promote UL when asked on this end, seems like still a pretty new concept up here that is slowly catching on, actually saw 3 separate hikers over the past weekend sporting Golite packs, was great.
    Cheers
    Jim

Thom Kendall

@kendalltf

Locale: IL

Reading this reminds me of a story we like to tell about "pilgrims". As a buckskinner I do historical reenactments
    and blackpowder shots. We can tell pilgrims because they come through the supply tents and buy up everything they "think" they need. I have seen the same with ultralight. I believe it more important with ultralight more than any other form of camping to research products and and conditions of the area you are working in. I think you should start with haveing to much equipment and as you camp weed out items not needed. Just my thoughts.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools