Topic

Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite Three Pieces of Gear Used in 2004?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    robert courson
    BPL Member

@bertcourson

Locale: lake michigan

This is a good stove. I used it on the AT for a couple of weeks while walking with a friend who was through hiking and he borrow the Thermo Jet and used it for the next 1000 miles to Katahdin without incident. He returned it and I expect to use it this summer!

Anonymous

1 Montrail MASAI trail-runnung shoes

… Light! and “sock-like” fit.

2 custom-made footbed by German orthopedic technology

…it make MASAIs fit to my feet better.

I used to make “Super-feet”, but it didn’t solve my feet problem, because it did’t support the arch between the big ball and small ball, one of the 3 arches of our foot.
    The arch of my feet are collapsed.

German-way foot-bed gives the support with the moderate swell in the middle of foot-bed.
    (I hope readers know what I mean. See the famouse BIRKENSTOCK foot-bed.)

3 Rocky’s Gore-Tex over-socks

I don’ like the shoes made with Gore-Tex, because it makes me sweaty in good weather.
    Over-socks only for rain will be the better choice.

But, I don’t think Gore-Tex is the best.
    I want Dia-Plex or e-VENT product!

Stay KOOL and GO LIGHT!!!

KEVIN BOS

@bosman

ULA: P2 without the hip belt you don’t need it. Your hike becomes more natural w/o the hip belt. I purchased it with the hip belt with pockets which is nice but i found the hike to be more comfortable and lighter without it. I also like the p1 with a bozeman torsolite pad inflated inside to create a frame inside the bag but i have gone with a Hennessy hammock now so no need for the pad or the p1. I might sell my P1.

Photon Micro Light: Freedom Micro with Hat Clip

Marmot: Hydrogen 30 Deg Down Bag

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

-Hennessy Hammock (original Ultralight)
    -Primus Titanium stove model ULT2 3274
    -Miox

Thomas McDonald, MD

@mc1donald

Locale: SF Bay Area

–SportHill Explorer II top (windproof polypro “3SP” front and more breathable back- a nice combo, very stretchy w/ nice fit)
    –TNF Apex beanie (powershield fabric)- works well under my cycling helmet as well as in the backcountry
    –GoLite Syngergy pants (Pertex Equilibrium fabric–very light, pretty windproof yet breathable, smooth finish that sheds snow well)

Steve Cain

@hoosierdaddy

Locale: Western Washington

1. Homemade alcohol stove
    2. Vasque Borneo trail shoes
    3. BD Raven Pro ice axe

David Neumann
    BPL Member

@idahomtman

Locale: Southern Oregon Coast

Gossamer Gear Lightrek Poles
    MontBell U.L. Bivy
    MontBell Thermawrap Jacket

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

1.) Beyond Fleece Cold Fusion softshell jacket
    2.) BMW Cocoon Pullover ( da bomb of lightweight
    insulated jackets)
    3.)Outdoor Research Airfoil gloves
    all 3 have a place in my winter campaigns.

John Taylor
    BPL Member

@jtaylor

Locale: Shenandoah

My favorites are:

Granite Gear Virga pack. Light, comfortable, and simple!

Trangia WestWind stove. It is not the lightest, but it is simple, durable, and works every time.

Tilley hat. I love this hat.

Steven Sergeant

@stevesgt

Narrowing down this list to three is actually rather difficult. Each trip has conditions and situations that make one piece stand out relative to the others. That said, I’ll follow someone else’s lead and post some runners-up as well.

TOP AWARDS:

1) Montane featherweight smock and pants. I put these together because I think of the suit as one piece of gear. I treat them with Nikwax TX-Direct Wash-in about every 10 washings, and they’re my first line of defense against almost any change in weather or insect pressure. I don’t know how I could live again without these (or something very much like them) on the trail.

2) Moonlight Pack by Six Moon Designs. I did have some problems with the foam in the straps getting compressed and not recovering, but after Ron replaced it, it’s been great. Just the right amount of volume for my gear, and very durable. I own a couple of other lightweight packs, but this is the one I’ll grab by default when I’m most uncertain of conditions.

3) Watch, Suunto Vector. This watch, altimeter, and compass in one is sort of a one-stop telemetry station. It’s often the only electronics I take with me. Actually learning all of the fancy compass modes has made it more useful than one might think on first impression.

RUNNER UPS:

A) Bozeman Mountain Works Spin Poncho. It was tough deciding between this poncho and my Equinox extension-poncho. I like the extra length and the off-center hood position of the Equinox — it covers my pack better and provides more coverage as a shelter, but I like the lesser weight of the spin-poncho more.

B) Platypus Big-Zip Hoser, 2 liter. The lightest hydration system around for the volume. I cant tell that it imparts any taste to the water. I’ve never had one leak — I’ve put one into almost every one of my packs.

C) Princeton Eclipse 2 flashlight. This LED flashlight and headlamp is terribly versatile. One clip attachment lets me use it as a head lamp, anotther lets me hang it from a lanyard. It has three brighness settings and a flashing mode. It weighs a little more than a Photon Micro-light, but the couple of tenths of an ounce are worth it for the added utility.

You may notice I didn’t mention any sleeping gear. I really liked my Nunatak Ghost Blanket, which I just got rid of. I have a couple of home-built polarguard quilts, and a BMW Arc-X (which I haven’t actually tried in the wids yet). They’re all excellent for different situations — I just couldn’t decide among them.

Janet Brewster

@jgranite

1) Marmot Lithium sleeping bag (0 deg)
    Kept me warm in a September snowstorm in the High Sierra. For women, a 20 deg bag just doesn’t cut it above 10,000 ft — reluctantly sold my Western Mountaineering Ultralite in order to buy the Lithium, because I froze using it on the JMT…. But it was worth it.
    (y’all need more women as gear reviewers!)

2) Granite Gear Ozone backpack
    Lightweight with great support, and can handle up to 40 lbs. Fantastic for thru-hiking.

3) Leki Ultralite Ti Air Ergo poles
    Saved my knees when going downhill!!

J R

@ravenul

#1 Toss up between my MountainSmith Ghost, or my MountainSmith Boogieman (depends on trip length)

#2 Anything Smartwool

#3 My homemade “Pocket Dragon” alcohol stove and Sgt Rocks “Ion” Ti Stove Stand

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

1. Six Moon Designs Starlite Pack

2. Hennessy Hammock.

3. Nunatak Arc Alpinist.

FRANK HERDMAN
    Spectator

@fherdman

Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone–great compromise between weight and comfort

Lowa Banff boots–luxurious seamless leather on the inside

Vargo Triad stove–light and reliable, even at elevation, easy to empty excess fuel

Jan Unneberg
    BPL Member

@blueskyii

Locale: Pennsylvania

1) Stovestomper’s two-legged MSR Ti Kettle support/windscreen: The support legs are modified to be 1/8″ longer and the sidwall is 1/16″ higher for use with Esbit tabs. A piece of heavy duty aluminum goes under the stand to reflect heat and to eliminate ground moisture.

2)Henry Shire’s Virga and Squall Tarptents: In the next two years he’ll finally win the Backpacker Magazine award he deserves.

3) WildThings Nylon Windshirt: Great ventilation options, alway my favorite piece of clothing.

Carol Corbridge
    Spectator

@ccorbridge

Locale: Southern Oregon

Clark Jungle Hammock Ultra Light- So comfortable. Like an easy chair to sit in and read. You can sit on the edge and take off and put on your shoes. I use my home made ray way tarp as a rain fly (16 oz. about 9’x 9′) instead of the fly that came with it, since it provides me with more options. This set up can be used on the ground too. Hammock has zipped bug netting built in. Only 28 oz without the fly. I usually hang it with the fly and then detach the fly on one side so I can rock under the stars and quickly deploy the fly if needed. Hands down my farvorite piece of gear.

Sierra Zip Stove- no fuel to carry, I like the camp fire smell, it’s like a little elf fire. Can gather wood for dinner in one hand.

Possum Down Vest- So soft and light 6 oz, I wear it around town too. Incredible warmth for the weight and bulk. Also just plain feels good to wear.

Viewing 16 posts - 51 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools