This document provides an active list of content solicitations that we are seeking from authors. Please review the list and let us know via email@example.com if you would like to work on one of these projects.
Please review our Author’s Guide to review guidelines for submitting unsolicited content, as well as more detailed descriptions of content types to help you evaluate the open solicitations listed below.
Flash Reviews of Cottage Industry Gear
- Word Count: 600-1,200
- Honoraria: $25
- Focus: New and emerging products from cottage industry manufacturers
- Format: see How to Write Gear Reviews for Backpackinglight.com
Performance Gear Reviews, Gear Guides, and State of the Market Reports
- Performance Reviews: 2,000+ words; see How to Write Gear Reviews for Backpackinglight.com
- Honoraria: $100 – $250 depending on product (higher rates for including video product demonstrations)
- Gear Guides: 2,000+ words; see How to Write Gear Guides and State of the Market Reports for Backpackinglight.com
- Honoraria: $100-$250 depending on category
- State of the Market Reports: 5,000+ words; see How to Write Gear Guides and State of the Market Reports for Backpackinglight.com
- Honoraria: $250-$1,500 depending on category
- ultralight backpacks
- rain jackets
- insulating jackets
- lightweight stoves
- consumer electronics
- shoes for ultralight hiking
- lightweight shelters
- floorless shelters
- solo tents
- trekking pole-supported shelters
- sleeping quilts
- inflatable sleeping pads
- trekking poles
Long Form Technology and Techniques
- Word Count: 5,000+
- Honoraria: $100 – $1,000 depending on topic and length (higher rates for video skills demonstrations).
Comprehensive, long-form articles about technology/design or skills/techniques.
Trip Reports / Expedition Journals
- Word Count: 1,500+
- Includes photo and/or video essays
- Includes gear list and gear notes / lessons learned
- Honoraria: $25 to $250 depending on scope of article (higher rates for video essays)
Trip reports featuring your experiences of an amazing place and journey. Focus should be on multi-day, human-powered travel in lightweight style.