Watch the Intro:
About the Course:
- Title: How to Use the Garmin inReach for Navigation, Tracking, and Messaging
- Live Course Date/Time: Tuesday, May 26 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM US Mountain Time
- Presenter(s): Ryan Jordan, Publisher, Backpacking Light
- Length: 3.0 to 3.5 hours (approx, depends on Q&A)
- Enrollment Fee: $47 (FREE to Unlimited Members)
How to Enroll
Is the masterclass live-streamed or recorded?
- Both! The initial class will be live-streamed online. If you can’t attend the live stream, you will have access forever to the recorded version as part of your enrollment.
- The recorded version will be available shortly after the live stream ends.
How do I know where to go after I enroll?
- You’ll receive an email with instructions that include a link to the live “room” where the masterclass course will be streamed!
Will the Garmin inReach Masterclass be free for Unlimited Members?
- Yes, all online courses, including webinars and masterclasses, are free for Unlimited Members. Become an Unlimited Member today.
What will the cost of the Garmin inReach Masterclass be if I’m not an Unlimited Member?
- Like our Lightweight Backpacking in Inclement Conditions Masterclass, the Garmin inReach Masterclass will be $47.
How long is the masterclass?
- The actual course will be about 2 hours long, and we’ll have an additional 30 minutes for Q&A during the live stream.
Is this masterclass only relevant to the inReach Mini?
- We use the inReach Mini as the primary device in our instruction, but the masterclass is applicable to the entire inReach ecosystem, including Garmin Earthmate, Garmin Explore, and all Garmin devices using inReach technology.
Where do you recommend purchasing an inReach?
- Purchase an inReach Mini, inReach Explorer+, or GPSMAP 66i at REI, where they are offered at significant (and rare) discounts May 15-25, 2020 during their spring sale.
Should I get a Mini, Explorer+, or GPSMAP 66i?
- Get the inReach Mini if you want minimum weight and bulk and you already bring a smartphone for GPS or other uses. The smartphone interface for inReach devices is far better than the device interfaces.
- If you don’t bring a smartphone and are primarily using the device for messaging and weather forecasting, get the inReach Explorer+.
- If you don’t bring a smartphone and are primarily interested in GPS functionality with messaging secondary, get the GPSMAP 66i.
Where can I learn more about the inReach Mini?
- Read our 8,500-word Garmin inReach Mini Review.
Who is the course instructor?
- Backpacking Light founder and publisher Ryan Jordan, who also authored our comprehensive inReach Mini Review.
Get Your inReach Now While On Sale
- Garmin inReach Mini $350.00 $299.99 at REI
- Garmin inReach Explorer+
$450.00$349.99 at REI
- Garmin GPSMAP 66i GPS
$600.00$499.99 at REI
inReach Comparison Table
Here’s how they stack up against each other:
|inReach Mini||inReach Explorer+||GPSMAP 66i GPS|
|more info||Read our Garmin inReach Mini Review|
|weight||3.5 ounces||7.5 ounces||8.5 ounces|
|unit size||3.9 x 2 x 1 inches||6.5 x 2.7 x 1.5 inches||6.4 x 2.6 x 1.4 inches|
|display size||0.9 inches||1.9 inches||3.0 inches|
|weather forecasts||yes||yes||cellular only|
|wireless pairing with Earthmate||yes||yes||yes|
|battery life (typical)||40-80 hours||80-110 hours||30-200 hours|
|battery type||USB-rechargeable Li-ion||USB-rechargeable Li-ion||USB-rechargeable Li-ion|
DISCLOSURE (Updated November 7, 2019)
- Some (but not all) of the links in this article may be “affiliate” links. If you click on one of these links and visit one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently place an order with that retailer, we receive a small commission. These commissions help us provide authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!