Topic

Zpacks Triplex… 2 people and a 60 lb. dog?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks Triplex… 2 people and a 60 lb. dog?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Glade S
    BPL Member

@gladie

Anyone with a Zpacks Triplex know how well it would work with two people and a 60 lb. dog?  60” wide doesn’t leave much of a margin for a big pup, but maybe the 90” length gives a little wiggle room.  Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I’ve learned that “big enough” when it comes to tents (and other things, LOL) is extremely individual.

I’ve said before that a BA FC 3-person tent was *barely* enough room for 2 adults and felt horribly cramped.  In response, another person huffily insisted that the BA FC TWO-person was MORE than enough room for her and her boyfriend, and that they thought it was a very, very roomy interior. Ummm, ok.

Since I, apparently, need “more” rather than “less” room to be comfortable, I’d say that a Triplex would be *just* large enough for your purposes.  Remember that the walls slope down quite sharply at the head/foot, so if your dog is there, s/he wouldn’t have much headroom, and would likely be brushing on the tent wall every with each movement.  I know that Tarptent has several options (discussed in another thread on a similar subject — do a search) that would be roomier, with only a slight weight penalty.

I wonder about doggie nails on a cuben floor … but those who backpack with their fur-children could tell you all about that much better than I.

Glade S
    BPL Member

@gladie

Thanks for the feedback.  I’ve used an HMG Ultamid 2 with a DCF11 floor and had zero problems with his nails. I believe the Triplex floor is a hair thinner, but I’m not too worried about it.  The mesh and the view of squirrels it provides gives me more anxiety about how he’d do.  But those issues aside, I’m mostly concerned about the actual roominess of the tent.  I’ve already dealt with sloping walls from all angles in the Ultamid, and at least the Triplex has vertical walls on two sides (which my experience with my Solplex suggests helps considerably in the livability department).  That said, the footprint is pretty small and narrow.  Anyone out there with a Triplex use them with your dog(s)?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools