Topic

Zpacks new sleeping bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks new sleeping bags

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Zpacks sleeping bags now have vertical baffles on the upper portion to prevent down shift.  Very interesting although I like how the old version looked better but the performance is what matters.  Thoughts?

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

They look quite similar in design to UGQ Renegate quilts.  I’ve had a couple zPacks quilts and disliked the footbox design, but this new design looks to correct that.  I might give them a try again.

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

I haven’t been a fan of the footbox design on my EE Enigma, which seems reasonably comparable to what they did here. (Might just be me, but I feel like it leaves my legs with a lot of space to try and heat up, and I’ve wound up being much warmer in my Golite quilt.) I picked up one of the slew of older design bags that they had in the bargain bin this morning (PSA- there was a slew of bags in the bargain bin this morning), since I think I like the more rounded footbox design (older one) better.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

Quite impressive. My Stoic 30 deg bag is designed in a similar way but with the zipper on the top, not the bottom. The weight savings to the zpacks which can essentially zip from a quilt to a bag is significant. I don’t really need the hood on my mummy bag, so this is something I’ve considered. I could drop 1/2 lb of weight which would offset my recent increase die to the Xtherm. The only issue is of course the cost! The Stoic bag was a great deal.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

The vertical baffles may effectively prevent down shifting below you, but feathered friends talks about this as a feature, not a detriment. They recommend manually shifting the down to control comfort level through temperature regulation. What are your thoughts on this?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I like the theory, but in practice the down often shifts at night involuntarily, leaving you cooler than you should be.  I prefer the horizontal baffles.  I don’t see why you wouldn’t have them go down as far as possible toward the feet.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Full Disclosure: I own a Duplex and an Arc Haul and love them (as I do everything I have purchased from ZPacks).  I also own 2 EE quilts and love them equally.

I have compared the ZPacks bags to the EE quilts everyway from Sunday.  The sizes are not completely equal but I cannot, for my uses cases, figure out what makes the ZPacks worth the ($90-$135 in the cases below) premium:

ZPacks 10 deg X-Long (6’3″) Standard (61″) 900FP – $475
    Fill – 17.3 oz
    Total – 24.7 oz

EE 10 deg Long (6’6″) XWide (64″) 900FP – $385
    Fill – 18.5oz
    Total – 25.1

EE 10 deg Regular (6′) Wide (58″) 900FP – $330
    Fill – 15.5oz
    Total – 21.2

I’ve never seen a ZPacks bag in person, but have heard that they are 1) very well made and 2) not as warm as they are rated. I have no intention of saying anything negative about any of these products, just interested into why others might have chosen the ZPacks over the EE?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I would consider an EE quilt but I do not want down tek in my bag I would rather have non treated down and EE no longer offers it as an option.

John Rowan
    BPL Member

@jrowan

As someone who’s in the process of replacing an Enigma with a Zpacks bag (Zpacks should arrive Friday-ish), a big motivator for me is the fact that I’ve just decided that I don’t play all that well with quilts, at least as far as temps close to the rating go. Couple that with the fact that I do tend to prefer hoodless just because I don’t play well with mummies, and the Zpacks turns into something of a default option at that point. They might not be the only game in town, but UL 20* hoodless bags aren’t exactly something that grows on trees.

I know EE has the Convert, but there’s not a crazy price differential from the Zpacks when they’re both spec’d at 900 fill. Also, the older Zpacks bags (new ones seem a bit heavier) are a good bit lighter, which can justify the cost, although, in fairness, a good couple of those ounces are fill weight. I’ll give it a spin, but I also have my doubts about the Zpacks temp ratings.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Link,

if you want untreated down just ask my customer service team, we have some left in back. If they tell you we don’t just pm me and I’ll kick their butts

-Tim

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Just thinking aloud here.

I’m too violent of a sleeper to go the quilt route, even in a hammock.  But, I really want a hoodless sleeping bag so this has piqued my interest.  The way I would foresee using it is purchasing the optional draft tube and zipping it up to my front and cinching it over my shoulders.

But when I look at that foot box, I imagine my size 13 feet would run perpendicular to its orientation and compress some of the loft that facing skywards.

For those who have a bag or quilt with a similar foot box, is my thinking correct here?

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Ian, I have laid inside a zpacks regular width bag (old version) and the foot box was indeed too small.  I have size 11 feet and the down was being compressed quite a bit and I decided it wouldn’t work for me.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Ian, have you considered the EE Convert?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Ian,

Im not a hammock camper, so cannot tell you how the performance of EE quilts might differ in that environment, but…

I am 6′ 1″, 220 lbs and also wear size 13s. My Revalation and Enigma are both Reg/Wide and they fit me perfectly when on my back and cinched around my neck. The footbox is sufficiently roomy and the insulation is not compressed in any way.

I might suggest you either look at the EE Convert or consider getting an XWide Rev or Enigma and pulling it tightly behind your back.

Jason Spangler
    BPL Member

@wumple

@JCH – how do you like your EE 6′ vs 6’6″ quilts, lengthwise?

I’m getting an EE Revelation, I’m 6’1″ and average weight.  I ordered a Long 6’6″ EE said the 6′ is actually good up to 6’2″ height – so I’m wondering if I could switch to the 6′ length and save an ounce or so, or if that would be too short or cramped.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Jason – at 6′ 1″ tall the regular length fits me perfectly. I do not pull it above my neck…ever.  If I loosely cinch it around my neck (just enough to seal) and lie flat on my back, i.e. make myself as long as possible, my feet just reach the end of the bag with no down compression.  I can’t really ask for a better fit than that. I am mostly a side sleeper, so the slightly fetal posture of that means I can bury my head if I want…but I don’t want to. I use one or all of the following in some combination for head insulation and am warm as all heck: a MH fleece beanie, Cap 4 beanie and Cap 4 balaclava.

To answer your question specifically, for your height I would go with the size Regular.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

@discopants

Just my $.02 but as a rotisserie sleeper is the main reason I like quilts for sleeping on the ground and in a hammock. The lack of zipper means I don’t get twisted up in a sleeping bag. It’s liberating. I’ve got a wide HG Burrow 20° and I’m never cold. I pair it with a NeoAir on the ground and an HG UQ when hanging. I’ve had these setups down to the mid 20s with breezes, rain and snow. IMHO you don’t need it to be zipped or strapped closed. The quilt just lays against the pad/bivy/floor/hammock and I stay warm without trying.

YMMV but I love the freedom of a quilt as I toss and turn.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I agree with everything Matthew said.  I never needed, nor understood why it would be necessary, to strap down my quilt, nor have I missed the zipper.

The thing that is hard to explain, and likely impossible to understand without experiencing it first hand, is that the edges of a properly sized quilt will naturally tuck under your sides, or “snap into place” when cinched around your neck.  This creates a very effective seal.  I can see how a quilt that is too small or too large would make for a cold night.  I have been down to the teens in my quilts and honestly cannot imagine going back to a mummy-style bag.

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

JCH,

My issue has always been the light weight of my quilt (I use an older EE RevX 40 in reg/reg): Once I toss and turn, the quilt will turn with me, especially if I have it cinched around my neck. In a static position, I have no complaints but each turn creates a cold spot that I have to fix (which I have to wake up for) if I don’t use any sort of pad-attachement straps.

How do you handle this issue? Or do you think my quilt is still too small? I would love to use a quilt without pad-attachment as the various methods are either absolutely annoying or not 100% effective.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Theo,

I am not a “static” sleeper…I definitely move around during the night…however would not classify myself as “active”, “rotisserie” or any of the other terms people have used.  I am a very slightly cold sleeper (that is another of the things that changes as we get older).

I have never had the complaints about quilts that you mention.  I think I got lucky and got the correct size for my height and style of sleeping on the first try, but I was very conscious of making certain it was wide enough.  I also consider a warm quilt a safety item, and taking one that is not warm enough to be “stupid light” :)  When using my 30* Rev below the upper 30s I supplement with a UL puffy, or switch over to a 10* Enigma.

I guess I would suggest you try a wide 30* or 20*.  I also think the new EE quit designs are more thermally efficient than the older models.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Tim I did email and here was the comment I received

Tyler Buss

Sep 29, 8:47 AM CST

There are no plans to offer non-DownTEK down. Is there a specific reason or issue you have concerning treated down that I can help with?

Thanks. HAPPY TRAVELS :)

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Link,

im not surprised. If you want to move forward shoot me a PM and I’ll work it out with you.  They don’t know all that hides in the warehouse

-Tim

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

For those looking/wishing for an option to the ultralight hoodless 20° bags/quilts here, consider a custom filled Feathered Friends Vireo. I don’t recall what I paid but am quite certain it was no more than those mentioned here…maybe less. Tons of loft and only 20.69 oz. FF’s quality goes without saying. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/73812/

Re the question about the Zpacks foot box: I had a Zpacks bag and could not deal with it. It doesn’t really have a “foot box”. Some don’t mind it and it seems to work for others. It was too constricting and had too little loft for my tastes though. I feel badly for saying that as I like Joe and Zpacks. The foot box on the Vireo…….it’s in another league.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Tim I just put in my order, I really appreciate it, if you have enough for another short bag I would like to order another next month, I just want to save the full amount before buying another. Thanks Again !

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Matt et al,

I converted one synthetic sleeping bag into a quilt and have tried draping my unmodified sleeping  bag over me in the hammock.  I like the idea but in application, I find that I will invariably invite some drafts when I move around in my sleep and end up waking up a few extra times every night to tuck it back in.  I just end up zipping up my sleeping bag and feel like I get a better night of sleep that way.

As far as the Convert goes, I have looked at it, but I want a sewn footbox and not the kind that cinches shut with a draw cord.  Just personal preference.

If I were to make the perfect bag/quilt hybrid, It would a) have a foot box similar to Katabatic’s Elite line, it would be basically the Vireo from the waist down, with a zipper and draft tube on the front from the waist up, and something I could cinch over my shoulders.  I see temps down to freezing 12 months per year so I’m not all that concerned about having a quilt/sleeping bag where I can kick my feet out.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools