Topic

ZPacks Arc Haul. How does everybody like it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks Arc Haul. How does everybody like it?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nathan L
    BPL Member

@nathansl2003

Locale: Central Vermont

Hey guys,

This is my first post!

I currently have an Osprey Exos 48 that I use as my primary pack and a Gregory Baltoro that was my first pack and very heavy at 5+ lbs and I rarely use it anymore.

I am continually looking to lighten my load and I had purchased a ZPacks Solplex and Triplex Tent and have really enjoyed them.

Has anybody used the ZPacks Arc Haul?  I was thinking about purchasing it over winter for use next year for backpacking season.

Nathan

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

I’m a huge fan of mine. It’s the most comfortable pack I’ve ever used. Not sure what else to say about it, as it has completely exceeded my expectations. The only thing that annoys me about it is that the back mesh is pretty easy to snag and rip. After a couple of seasons I have a few small holes that I’ve put small pieces of duct tape or tenacious tape over to keep them from widening. The issue feels pretty minor to me compared to the major benefits I get from weight, comfort, size, lack of back sweat, etc., but it’s annoying nevertheless.

The dual toggles on each side for tightening the hip belt is an ingenious feature.

I pushed 40 pounds on a packrafting trip, and while the first day was a little uncomfortable (which would be expected with almost any pack at that weight), the Arc Haul performed really well.

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

Also, welcome!

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Absolutely echoing Owen’s post….love my Arc Haul, with the only drawback being the back mesh. Honestly though its only cosmetic.

I like them so much that I bought my wife and son both arc scouts. Here at Craters of the Moon, Idaho.

Nathan L
    BPL Member

@nathansl2003

Thanks guys.  I met a guy on the Long Trail here in Vermont that had a Zpacks on and he said he loves it except getting everything adjusted properly (forgot the model).

i also plan to get my son who is 5 now a Scout for next year and my wife as well.  My youngest hiker who is 2 now will be fully out of a carrying pack and will walking the trail on her own (with limitations on conditions).

I bought the Triplex for all of us to sleep in for backpacking together. I wonder how tight it will be with 2 adults and 2 kids…

Nathan L
    BPL Member

@nathansl2003

DGoggins,

Also, nice picture I love seeing families out hiking/backpacking together!  Can never get the kids out early enough.

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

A Triplex with 2 adults and 2 kids….is…going to get real tight.

If the 2 kids sleep with their feet together in the space of 1 20″ wide pad..then…maybe.

I can only get the triplex to sleep 3 decently with 1 adult and 2 kids (like…8 and 10 year olds). You can do 3 adults…but…knees and elbows are going to start hitting other people during the night when tossing/turning. But…doable.

You need to have the triplex pitched lower…like, 44-45″ poles, so the floor bathtub relaxes. And, bring 3 mummy shaped pads (like, exped hyperlites), all 20″ width. Then, sleep head/toe/head.

You can tell its still tight because if I’m out of the tent and there is any movement, a pad starts creeping up the walls ->

Of course there is rough housing ->

If you want to sleep all 4 of you…I would say if not this year, the next year you’ll need to upgrade to a supermid/ultamid 4. Or….you’ll need to bring both your solplex and triplex. Of course, rough housing will still happen ->

Anyway….its easy to get your kids/family out hiking as long as you follow a few rules:

1. Go ultralight (makes kids/wifes happy)
    2. Start them early …kids get used to things easy when they are young. Don’t start by taking a teenager! So much angst.
    3. If allowed, have a fire. I normally just do small twig/small branch fires that won’t get out of control and where the kids can just keep throwing twigs on it. Keeps them entertained for hours.
    4. Bring candy

Nathan L
    BPL Member

@nathansl2003

DGoggins,

Thanks for all the info. Both of my kids started hiking (hypothetically) when they could be put into a pack, my wife has a Dueter pack.  We plan to bring both tents when the whole family is hiking.  I can sleep in the Solplex and wife/kids in Triplex or vice versa.

My daughter has been on the trail before she was 1 yo, both of my kids hike on their own by 2 1/2 (daughter will start next summer).  She hiked some on her own this year but very limited.

It is awesome family time and everybody loves it.  I am pretty old at 41 but I would love nothing more to have me and my son hike the 273 mile Long Trail as a thru-hike then perhaps the Appalachian trail.

The important thing to all of this is the kids need to have a good time and enjoy nature.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

My Arc Haul is my favorite pack of all time.  I agree with what everyone else has said.  Just get one and try it.  Zpacks’ return policy is as good as it gets if by chance it simply doesnt work for you.

Jake J
    BPL Member

@psykokid

Locale: Socal

My goto pack has been a Exped Lightning 60. I did a trip this fall with a friend out of Horseshoe Meadows, through the Miter Basin, over Crabtree Pass, up the Dreaded Sand Hill, summit of Whitney and then down the Mountaineers Route and out to the portal. I borrowed an Arc Haul from one of the ASM’s in my son’s boy scout troop and used it for this trip. Carried really well, heaviest load being around 28 lbs with water and a BV450. I liked the ventilation from the arc back panel, kept my back from getting swampy like it does with the Lighting. My only gripe was that it could have used a little more padding on the hip belt, but I think that is because I’m used to the super plush (in comparison) hip belt of the Lightning. If I were buying new I wouldn’t hesitate to pick one up.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Had it, wasn’t overly impressed.

The frame came out far too easily, any time I had to take big steps up/down boulders (i.e. the last time you want your pack to blow out) or if loaded above 30lb. Zpacks said it might be a stitching issue, but that wasn’t very helpful when I was living out of the pack for six months in South East Europe – they said I could send it in to be fixed, but that wasn’t an option given I had my entire life in the pack. I jimmied a fix by cutting down the frame rods, putting some rubber bands on the end of the rods to increase the friction, and sewing a little pocket to actually hold the frame in place. The design relies on tension to keep the frame in, so if it doesn’t sit in exactly the right place (due to a sewing error??) then it doesn’t work as the tension forces it to work its way out. Bad pictures, but this is the system https://imgur.com/kiKak20 https://imgur.com/JyKG0xd

I think I heard it’s been improved a bit this year?

Given they market the haul on it’s durability, I wasn’t very happy there either. I got maybe 1000km in it and had several holes with only some light bushwacking. They didn’t affect performance, but long term it would have been a problem. The bottom of the pack was very worn and was close to forming holes (and I am careful about how and where I place the pack). The limits of UL fabrics aren’t ZPacks fault, of course – I was probably expecting too much in this regard. The of the front pocket did form holes very easily, though (something I’ve seen many complain about).

In saying that, the general layout of the pack was really good, easy to reach bottle pockets etc. Once I fixed up the pack, it carried really well – super comfy to wear. I’d still be using it if I hadn’t lost it (long story) – but in buying a new pack I’ve been looking at other options, and won’t be going back to Zpacks.

If the frame system is more secure this year and you’re fine with the fabric, then it is a nice pack.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Too bloody heavy . . .

Weight creep has really destroyed a lot of good packs. ZPacks Zero, GG G5, and so on.  Every one has gone obsolete as owners get older, looking for lighter stuff! I still use an 10 year old 3200ci pack about half the time and a somewhat lighter Murmur for shorter trips. No reason for more unless you plan on an expedition or do a lot of dry camping.

Nathan L
    BPL Member

@nathansl2003

Thanks everybody for sharing their experience with the Arc Haul, I appreciate it!

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

I have the Arc Blast; same as the Arc Haul but with lighter weight fabric. Saves maybe 3 oz? I’m quite happy with the pack. At around 23 oz it is feather weight, saved me over 1.5 lbs, compared to a 3 lbs backpack.  I am not looking for a new pack, I’m fine with this one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools