Topic

Xpac Custom Fabric Run. MYOG Resource and Gear Production.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Xpac Custom Fabric Run. MYOG Resource and Gear Production.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Locale: Southwest

Got some V21 in Hand.

Color is Coyote

Still waiting on some Graphic Design work before I launch new website, but have had enough interest here that I’ll offer to sell V21 yardage before website goes live.

$18.50/yard + Actual Shipping Cost.

I’ll cover shipping for purchases over 5 yards.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

PM sent. Stoked.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Dibs on Dans pack when he sells it.

Andrew Stevens
    BPL Member

@nuttool

I’m glad you chose Coyote, as it is one of my favorite colors for x-pac.  I would like to buy a couple of yards.  How does this fabric compare to the LS-21?  I would like to get a couple of yards.  I made a pack with coyote, gray, and black that I thought looked really good together.

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Compared to the LS21, this fabric is lighter and will remain effectively waterproof much longer.

I’d also argue that the long term durability of LS21 won’t be any greater, as they both use a 200 denier base fabric.

Another benefit is that the V21 PET interior laminate allows seam taping and reinforcement with acrylic pressure sensitive adhesive based tapes and patches.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I’m guessing the only real/main advantage of the LS21 could be that it would absorb slightly less water from the outside?

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

I haven’t done any tests with the lite skin layer and its water absorption or lack thereof.

Even if the lite skin absorbs less water than a woven nylon face fabric, I’d personally be more concerned with keeping the gear inside my pack dry. The PET laminate on the INSIDE will be more effective in this regard that the any lite skin fabric.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

My order arrived yesterday. Big thanks to Nathan, first for providing access to his custom specs fabric, and second for fast shipping – it was a matter of hours after I sent him first PM.

From the outside, it looks just like an ordinary nylon. All the coolness of X-Pac is gone, but that was expected. It has softer hand than VX21, so it may be easier to sew curves. The weight is about 160 g/sqm, that’s a bit lighter than VX07 with 165 g/sqm. So it has significantly more robust face fabric at lower weight, and the lack of the grid and inner fabric layer are also advantages.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

The weight is about 160 g/sqm

Interesting. The two pieces of X-21 RC I have weighted out at 4.96 and 5.09 oz/sqyd, compared to the 4.72 oz/sqyd you weighed Jan (equivalent of 160 g/sqm). Could the X-grid add over 0.3 oz/sqyd of weight, or is my scale off?

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

Lester, my number may be off by several percent, the cuts were not straight so I don’t know the surface area exactly. But the most likely explanation is that different colors and different runs may have slight variations in weight, I have seen X21-RC listed as 150 g/sqm.

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Just a heads up for those interested.  Ive had a run on this stuff already and am down to just over 20 yards remaining of the half I’m not hoarding to sew with. So I may actually need to have a second round made to sell on website which could take 4-6weeks from time of order. So get it while it’s here or risk waiting another two months!

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Sounds like a great fabric! I agree Nathan on your points above about this vs LS21. The inner .5mil PET coating should last a very long time (vs say .18 on most cubens as a comparison) and the outside durability will be excellent.

Any thoughts of doing a similar fabric, ie .5mil PET inside, with say a 70 denier outer? For the more SUL pack options or lower wear areas (eg front side of pack)? I’m guessing that would get down to something like 2.5oz/sqyd? So, a V07?

Such a fabric would have less tear strength but more abrasion resistance and better long term waterproofness than say 2.92oz Dynemma composite (which is 50D face). Perhaps slightly lighter.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Any thoughts of doing a similar fabric, ie .5mil PET inside, with say a 70 denier outer?

The TX-07 has a 70d face with 0.25mil PET backing.

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Yes, I’ve considered a 70denier ripstop face with .5mil PET and no X-ply.

My use of TX07 has always shown it to wear prematurely at the  apex of the x-ply.

However, I believe 200 denier woven faces  hit a sweet spot of weight to durability. In a typical pack, choosing V21 vs V07 will only save 1.5oz.
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>The SUL pack thing doesn’t appeal to me much any more. I don’t like fragile gear. Even with a base weight hovering around 5lb, I’d gladly sacrifice 2oz for increased durability in a pack.</p>
    Biggest limitation for getting custom fabric built is budget. For most companies, its much easier to meet a 50 yard minimum for stock fabrics wherein they can mix and match styles and colors vs committing to 100-1000 yards of a single style/color.

Dimension Polyant I believe supplies cubic tech with the 50d and 150d polyester face laminates that they adhere to dyneema for their hybrid  DCF laminates.

Eric Osburn
    BPL Member

@osb40000

Nathan, do you have a website?

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Hi Eric, I’m in the process of building it currently. Mostly held up waiting for graphic design work to come back.

Russell Biser
    BPL Member

@rbiser

Any update on website or fabric?

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools