Topic

Xero TerraFlex Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Xero TerraFlex Review

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Andrew S
    BPL Member

@juggleandhope

hi, what experience do you have of drying times on the xero terraflex?  the upper seems to have a soft foam/spongy thing that almost seems designed to keep them wet.

Kenneth Posner
    BPL Member

@posnerk

Just a quick update on the review:  at 100 miles, the shoes are still holding together fine.  Will update again at 200 miles

Wore them on the descent from Mt. Adams to Appalachia in NH’s Whites and in particular was very pleased with traction, protection, and comfort on Airline Trail, which basically goes through a talus field of sharp-edged granite rocks

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Discomfort warning:

I got the Xero Terraflex. Fit was good. What I didn’t notice While trying them on, but only after wearing them for a while was the discomfort they caused my toes:

The sole curves up at the front. Since the sole is thin, it also curves up inside. This put pressure on the the bottom of my toes, and made the shoes very uncomfortable after a while.

This was despite the fact that the toe box was plenty wide. it may be that my straight-ahead big toes, exacerbate this issue, but I think many barefoot/minimalist people have feet where the big toe does not point to the center of their foot.

This might not be an issue when running, but when walking and standing it was so bad after a while, that my toes remained tender for a long time after taking the shoes off.

This discomfort was present whether or not I used the supplied insole. With the insole gone there was plenty of room in the toe box, even the height was ok, it was simply the fact that the shoe was permanently trying to bend my toes upward.

I did not notice this when trying them on, so buyer beware.

Kenneth Posner
    BPL Member

@posnerk

Here’s an update on my experience with the TerraFlex, now passing 200 miles.  The shoes are in good condition, with no visible wear on the treads, and nothing but a small nick in one of the uppers.  I’ve worn the shoes in multiple environments:  granite talus fields in New Hampshire’s Presidentials and the High Sierras, sandy/rocky trails in the Grand Canyon, Zions, Death Valley, and Yosemite, and some very wet rocky trails in the Catskills.  I continue to find they’re very comfortable and have good traction.

Obviously, one would like the shoes to last more than 200 miles to recoup the cost, so I will provide another report down the road.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools