Topic

WTB Freestanding 2-person tent with dual side doors, 5 lbs or less

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Swap WTB Freestanding 2-person tent with dual side doors, 5 lbs or less

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Peak height 40 inches or more. I’ll be camping on Santa Cruz Island and don’t want to take my Duplex because of the aggressive animals. Will use the tent later for car camping. Don’t want to spend a whole lot. Possibly a very roomy solo tent might meet my needs. Anyone have a “heavy weight” tent they don’t use any more?

Nicholas D
    BPL Member

@nhdean53

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

<p style=”padding-left: 60px;”>Interesting. I’d be happier with a door that is more centered on the side with a higher opening. If I can’t find anything else, the price on the featherstone is great. Thanks.</p>

Stephen Bing
    BPL Member

@stephbing

Locale: SoCal

Aggressive animals?

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

There are apparently small foxes that pee on everything to mark it and can open zippers and will eat through your gear to get to food. The ravens can also open zippers and aggressively go after food. Probably similar to ravens I encountered in the Grand Canyon. Two took every item out of my pack and pecked holes in anything remotely edible, like my antibacterial ointment. Luckily I’d heard about them and hung my food and left the top of my pack open so the pack wasn’t damaged and I didn’t lose too much stuff.

Stephen Bing
    BPL Member

@stephbing

Locale: SoCal

Wow that’s interesting. Maybe you can rent a tent from REI or someone else and just make sure you leave it empty until you sleep on it? You can also get used ones during their garage sales.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Since I will have to rent for 10 days even though I’ll only be camping 4, I’m pretty sure it’ll be cheaper to buy!

Bradley Weber
    BPL Member

@zipweber

Locale: SouthEast

Allen Law in this Gear Swap has an REI Half Dome 2 for $100.  Might be just over your 5# requirement but could be a good option.  Might be worth reaching out and seeing if it’s still available, condition, etc.

Good Luck and have fun on your trip!

Bradley Weber
    BPL Member

@zipweber

Locale: SouthEast

NM, just saw you’re already on it!  :)

Kirtland D
    BPL Member

@fukuromomonga

I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 Mtnglo for sale for 325$ with the BA footprint.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Thanks Kirtland, I’m looking for something cheaper (so it won’t hurt so much if the foxes pee on it).

Brendon R
    Spectator

@drhyke

I’ve got an REI tent, not sure what model, two person tent with a footorint. Total weight around 4 lbs, I’ll sell for 200. Only used two nights.

Brendon R
    Spectator

@drhyke

Actually it’s just over 3 lbs, just checked again to make sure.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Hi Brendon,

Could you send a photo of it set up? Any way you can find out what year and model?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Carol, I have an old hubbahubba with the orange ‘wet-look’ (read: sticky, ridiculously sticky) shell. Its delaming and ugly, but waterproofish (maybe not a storm?). You can have it if you want.  I have the footprint too. Only reason we dont keep it is the fly (and segment saturation in the gear closet).

Ralph Wood
    BPL Member

@visualscapes

Locale: Northern CA

Hi Carol,

I stayed on Santa Cruz island a few years ago. We ferried into prisoners bay and dry camped the first night at Del Norte. The next day we hiked over to Scorpion Ranch and spent 2 nights there. That’s when we saw a lot of foxes. It was pretty fun to see them so close. None of them were aggressive and only would really come into camp when our group would leave. Then they would get up on the picnic table and look for crumbs but that was about the extent of it. Animal proof food storage lockers are provided and we kept all of our food and cookware inside without incident.

I think your Duplex should be fine. I had a Zpacks hexamid tent at the time and never had a fox look at it twice. :)

Here’s a picture of one near our camp.

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

Carol if you can’t find something here that you like you can try SAC (Steep and Cheap) and Geartrade there are some options there for heavier options that might work for you.

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Hi Ralph,

You convinced me! I’ll use my Duplex.

Thanks so much for all the offers and ideas everyone!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Gear Swap’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!