Topic

Wolves in Back Country – Surprising Lack of Information

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wolves in Back Country – Surprising Lack of Information

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    James I
    BPL Member

@racerx00

I guess there’s just something magical about a wolf. I’ve always been aware of the possibility of wild cats, even if Mountain Lions aren’t around we have Bobcats and such. Plus even back in scouting days they’d say, “Mountain Lions aren’t really here but they’ve been in the region from time to time.”

Wolves on the other hand are the things you laughed at other 13 year olds who were scared of the possibility. Before the the wolf re-introduction into the western half of the country there wasn’t even talk about wolves in this state, at least any that I can remember. I also seem to be excited about this a lot more than your average bear, so that’s not lost on me either in terms of unbridled enthusiasm :)

As for the dude with the state. I believe he believes if this was a wolf it was a lone male who wandered off and that it probably wasn’t a wolf to begin with who probably won’t stick around for too long anyways. With that in his mind, he delivered his responses to me. If we had to deal with the general public talking about jackelopes and things on a daily basis, we’d all probably approach it the same way. Hell if I had to put forth a hypothesis it’d probably be just that. If there was an active pack of wolves in that area I don’t think it would be a secret to anyone and local news stations would eat it up in the short term.

I think Karen is right – This is just going to be a cool once in a lifetime experience I should just be happy I was able to have. It’s how I viewed it when it was happening and my excitement after the fact shouldn’t change that even if it means that I’ll never be able hear that again in my home state.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Jackelopes are totally real.  I have a postcard of one and it’s older than the internet so it must be true.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools