Topic

Why the Divide is so heavy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Why the Divide is so heavy

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Luke F
    BPL Member

@fowler

One thing – make a long torso version please.

I’m 6’2″ and wear my belt unnaturally low, I usually consider myself at the extreme end of a normal fit range. We have some 6’4″+ customers that just use the frame extensions if they find the default 24″ frame too short, in what way did you run out of adjustment with a Divide?

Nathan Coleman
    BPL Member

@rockchucker30

Im also not a fan of the metal hooks … In dense terrain ive had them get caught and unclip… I understand why you guys went with them for durability, but they can unclip

I prefer side release buckles, but they’re not removable.  The bachelor buckles work ok, but like you I find the detachment problem annoying.

A pair of channel locks helps.  Bend the hook until the gap is just big enough to wiggle the webbing loop through.  This nearly eliminates detachment issues.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

3rd gen stay

´what makes a stay 3rd gen ?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I read that as they started with a stay design and have made modifications to the design after testing twice already making this the third generation, or Rev 3, Version 3. etc.  I may be wrong however.

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Luke – I’m 6’2″ with a long Torso. I was directed towards the fortress as being more suitable – which is the way I went. Not unhappy at all but I wouldn’t have minded the slightly lighter divide,

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

nathan …

you can find something called the “gear aid snap repair buckle” … basically you can attached these to the straps on the devide without any mods …

of course to remove them again you would just cut the plastic a bit …

but for those who want plastic buckles rather than metal hooks it an option

;)

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

Oh I love my divide. For me it is a perfect blend of lighter weight pack but comfort that does not fatigue my hips and lower back or shoulders. Lighter packs I’ve had simply sag and pull and over time means an aching body. The features of seek packs sold me over all other packs I’ve used. I now have 4 total pack setups. The divide is my backpacking 3 season and winter I use the unaweep 4800 with mesh talon.

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

I think over 4 lbs pack is a different use
    Under 2lb pack for carrying 22lbs suck in my world. Give be the better pack and I’ll lose a rain cover, won’t have to worry about cramming my pack or strapping crap on the outside all day every day. For me the divide actually carries better at 27lbs than the about 2 lbs packs did at 20 lbs.

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

I don’t really see how the pack couldn’t fit someone. I have set mine up with s small belt to fit my 11 year old daughter.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Remember when 3 pounds was light?,lol.

I’d just like to see no more 3d mesh. Pine needles everywhere.

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

Ken
    I smiled because this proves no pack will be perfect. I love the 3D mesh :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

:) But you know what I mean. pick pick pick. There’s always the one that pokes you just so.

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

You are right Ken! I had one in my shoe yesterday.

I’m with you in that the 3.5lb pack is fine for my needs. I prefer it to the lighter less carry comfort of the Gossamer Gear, ULAs, ect I’ve tried.

I’ll keep my divide DaveC! The weight loss of a new pack isn’t worth the loss of performance.

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

I’m still not sure if the purpose of this post. Sort of like saying hey- look at my new pack design-

doesn’t mean you kick away something that can do what your new pack design CAN NOT do with the same comfort and carry options…..

does seem like an attempt to just brag on the new pack that I am excited to see!!!

I am interested in a slightly smaller day pack from Seekoutside but my Divide and Unaweep 4800 will continue to be my trip packs.

Now tell use when the new smaller pack would be more useful than the Divide and when the Divide would win out over the smaller new pack. That seems more constructive in informing the pack users here.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Since we have no details about the new pack other than a goal of ~2 lbs and 3000ci it is hard to say, but I will take a stab at it

The Divide would be still be king for trips over a week or when you need to carry heavy loads (packrafting, young children, etc).   The Divide is way overkill for most overnighters or weekend trips so the “California Special” would probably be the better pack.

The Divide probably the top load hauler in its weight class (and many weight classes above it). We will have to see how the California Special stacks up as that is a much more crowded market (however a much larger one).

Brian Goode
    BPL Member

@blgoode

I think so too Brad. Good day hike and overnighter if your gear will fit. Summer overnighter depending on how it carries. Here we tend to have to stock up on water in summers so I’ll still need the ability to stash 5 liters to get me through to mid morning next day in some places. Humid south required H2O big time. Have drank 12 liters in a full day before.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Just want to let everyone know that in my enthusiasm I jumped the gun on this a bit; there are too many vagaries to promise anything as far as products in the pipe are concerned.  If you want a pack this spring or summer, get a Divide.  As I hope the video and the subsequent replies here demonstrated it’s legitimately UL from a design perspective, and a great value, to say nothing of being sewn in the US.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

That’s the right thing Dave – take the time and get it right instead of releasing a product just to fill a niche.  I would think it might realistically be next spring before the pack has been tested and ready for sale.

The Unaweep platform/Divide is a great pack for heavy loads or week long trips.

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I’ve used my Paradox Evolution with X21RC bag for hauling deer, elk, caribou, and mountain goat.  It is a super pack for that purpose.  I keep my personal gear in the bag and lash the game bags over the bag.  It’s a great bag if I’m carrying camping gear, but way too much for day hunts. It’s a darn tough excellent hauler, but I think it could be lighter in this age of miracle materials.

I’d like to see a smaller, lighter, simple bag or day hunts – no bells and whistles, just a single compartment (but still with water bottle pockets.) I have used a Sea to Summit eVent compression stuff sack in place of the bag for day hunts.

I’d like to see bags in cuben fiber with at least some straps of the weight/thickness of those on HMG packs – I think they would still be heavy duty enough but lighter.

I’d like to see a CF Talon with waterproof zipper – I’ve seam-sealed my bag, but without a waterproof zipper, the Talon cannot be waterproofed.

This is the system I bought in 2015:

Pack System Builder – Unaweep or Evolution
    <small>(Suspension: Evolution (Can be used without Pack Bag) , HipBelt Size: Medium fits 32- 36 inch waist, Harness Size: Standard Harness , Frame Material: UL Frame (saves 3 ounces), Frame Extensions: 4 inch (28 inch effective height) , Pack Bag Size: 3900 Roll Top, Fabric Choice: X21RC Light Gray (Lightest – 2 layer 210 D Face Fabric), Packbag Side Zip: No Side Zipper, Talon: Include Matching – Base Talon Hydro , Lid: Include Matching Multi-Lid, HipBelt Buckle: ITW GT Cobra )</small>

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools