Topic

What is the temp tolerance of MSR teflon-coated pots?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is the temp tolerance of MSR teflon-coated pots?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m very interested in baking on an upcoming family trip with low-miles and some downtime. I have the MSR 2.5L pot (from the base pot 2 set) that according to the REI website has a Teflon coating (just found this out–not sure I like that idea).

What kind of temps will this handle?  I’ve put silicone baking cups elevated on wire mesh inside and kept the temp to ~350 inside the pot. I read elsewhere that in dry baking the metal temp could reach up to 600 degrees, which seems a rather excessive estimate, but I’ve not yet ordered my IR thermometer.

Is it safe to dry-bake in this or should I get a cheaper HAA pot w/o teflon?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

If the danger begins when pans overheat, then how hot is too hot? “At temperatures above 500ºF, the breakdown begins and smaller chemical fragments are released,” explains Kurunthachalam Kannan, Ph.D., an environmental toxicologist at the New York State Department of Health’s Wadsworth Center. DuPont, inventor and manufacturer of Teflon, agrees that 500 degrees is the recommended maximum for cooking.

I would stick with bare aluminum, HHA or titanium.  My 2 cents

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools