Topic

Training thread. Goals, updates, questions, etc.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Training thread. Goals, updates, questions, etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Craig,

this thread is actually  turning out to be motivating .

I am feeling more confident about what I can do now. Little steps, nothing huge, but just a hint of abs showing was pretty cool :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Little steps are the way to go, otherwise you can burn out or get hurt.

It’s helpful here too….I almost didn’t get out today but I didn’t want to post only 4 days of workouts.  And it was a good one (it always is) so I’m glad I got out.

Regardless of the workout, sometimes getting out the door is the hardest part.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I will look at those articles tomorrow Tom. Thanks. I just finished sewing for the weekend and that alarm goes off at 4:15 :-0

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Listen to Tom on this. Food intake can play a role, but inadequate oxygen levels as the result of shallow breathing (both inhalation and exhalation) are usually at the root of the problem.

Another link that talks about belly breathing:  Take the mouth breathing vs. inhaling through your nose as you will!

https://runnersconnect.net/running-tips/how-to-breathe-when-running/

Happy you are seeing results from your efforts. Congrats.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Another link that talks about belly breathing:”

A huge +1 to that! It is a major purpose of the diaphragm. I am very ambivalent about mouth breathing, however, particularly in cold weather. The nose was designed with mucous membranes and hairs for a reason, to trap particulates, and also to warm air before it reaches the sensitive tissues of the bronchial tubes and lungs. True enough, volume wise it is not as large a passage as the mouth/throat, but it is entirely adequate for the purposes of most runners. When you reach a level of running where you are seriously competitive, it may be a different story, but for recreational running, my personal opinion is to stick with nose breathing if that is how you naturally do it.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks  Tom and BJ. That belly breathing takes a little practice, eh?

I ran well today. Had the slightest side pain but only the last 5 minutes and Olga and I were pushing pretty hard. I took some deeper breaths and held my hand under my rib and that made it ok. I also tried holding my belly in while running for the 2 miles, just a bit of ab work while I run. Not sure if that is good or bad but it felt ok other than my pants having a mind of their own all of a sudden. I have definitively lost some visceral fat over this last month, having cut back on simple carbs too. Knowing I can run if need be is a plus. Feels nice.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“That belly breathing takes a little practice, eh?”

A little, at first, but it will quickly become second nature once you get used to it.
    Basically, you just push your abdomen down and out. Your diaphragm will follow and fill your lungs in the process. You can practice it while going about your daily routine, which I gather entails a lot of walking around.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I tried the belly breathing for most of my run today. It feels a little awkward, but I did not get any side pain and I ran really well today. I also ate much earlier than usual, having nothing at all for two hours before running.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well done! I’d call that progress. The belly breathing will become second nature over time.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Good to hear Kat, maybe the breathing/eating combo will solve it for you.

I’ve been in the habit of running/working out an an empty stomach for a pretty long time; I find it helpful in that A) I don’t have digestive issues while working out and B) I believe it’s helped me become somewhat fat-burning adapted (or at least mentally adjusted) and I don’t need much food or fuel during long workouts or hikes.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

After a bunch of life changes and an injury I am currently in the worst shape of my life. Kat’s seen it and can attest that it is not a pretty sight. I have a bicycle that is mocking me from the corner. Brownies tempting from the kitchen. Inspiration on the inter webs…must get up off *!%.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^^ you are a pretty sight even when out of shape Ken :)

if you want to feel better….join us! a small movement in the right direction is all it takes sometimes. What would feel good say six months from now?

I will motivate you ;)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Whether publicly on this board or privately, I’m happy to help out if I can Ken, even if that’s just periodically checking in and saying “hey, how’s it going?”.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Here too Ken, like Craig said.

In general it helps to be around people that are trying to be healthy….and we are trying :)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

For me, it’s all about motivation.  Here’s what I continue to do regularly:

• Volleyball 2x a week about 2 hours each.  There is just something about competition and a ball that keeps me motivated.  I’ve been doing it more than 30 years on a regular basis.
    • Yoga 1x a week for almost an hour.  This one is not as easy for motivation but its easy to do and I always feel good afterwards.
    • Walk/run combo for about an hour 1x a week.  I can always find the time to do this and mostly enjoy it.
    • I need something else more regular.  I bounce in and out of other things and eventually drop out: weights, swimming, etc.

I’d love ideas for other training that motivates well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Kat and Craig, thanks for the kind words.

I use to stay active at work, and had two energetic dogs to walk. Now I drive way more. Tigger is still here, but at 11 1/2 years he is only interested in going out once a day for a slow mile mosey. Stress at the end of last year and an injury that made walking painful contributed to me packing on friggin 50 extra pounds I certainly don’t need or want. I am starting back down now that the eating is more under control and the stress inducers are gone. Going to be turning 50 in a few weeks. Would prefer to be in better shape for that. Little steps…

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Kat, for me, the side stitch seems to always happens when I run too close to eating.  I never get them if I wait an hour.  It’s an easy fix if that’s your issue too.  Good luck.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

^^^^Interesting.

My school recently completely a study looking at GPAs among athletes and found that our cross country team, both male and female, had the highest GPA of all sports teams and these athletes were enrolled in more advanced placement classes than other teams.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Ken for being as out of shape as you claim to be you still have to turn down a single trip or route. You may not be where you want to be but you are getting to the top of a mountain. So…

@Pedestrian
    thanks!

@Ben
    yes that seems to be the consensus among runners. Other than today’s bad choice, I am putting more time between food and running :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

“I am putting more time between food and running”

Wise idea. In a competition between the stomach and the larger working muscles for blood supply, the working muscles will mostly win. And then your stomach throws a tantrum. It was axiomatic back when I was a kid not to go swimming for at least an hour after eating, because it could lead to stomach cramps. We didn’t understand why, and I’m not sure my Mom did either, but it was good advice that applies as well to running. Back in the day, I never ate for several hours before running, and still do my training hikes that way. You already have plenty of energy stored in your muscles and fat tissue to last you for any run you are likely to do, so why tempt fate? An additional benefit, as Craig said, is that running on an empty stomach will help train you to burn fat.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

When I started running competitively in high school, side stitches were common for me until i got into running shape. After that I never got them unless I ate an apple before a race — even if it was 3 hours prior.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My school recently completely a study looking at GPAs among athletes and found that our cross country team, both male and female, had the highest GPA of all sports teams and these athletes were enrolled in more advanced placement classes than other teams.

Actually this is pretty common in most high schools. It has nothing to do with the physical or mental aspect of running, but the type of individuals that are drawn to cross country.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools