Topic

The one pillow to rule them all

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear The one pillow to rule them all

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

When Doug gets old like me, he’ll care more about how much his pillow weighs : )

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Does the high density foam compress down for packing? I rather thought not?”

Yes it compresses, it’s not some solid block like styrofoam. It would actually compress down fairly well if I needed it to, I just don’t need it to. As Ken said, I’m much more interested in a good night’s sleep than I am about pillow compressibility. My new pillow is actually smaller than my old one, and the old didn’t compress at all.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Foam compresses – interesting.

Both Sue and I use extremely comfortable but fairly lightweight Exped Synmats (450 g each). They need blowing up, which always left Sue exhausted, and we found that breathing into them was putting too much condensation inside them. So now I carry one lightweight Exped pillow-pump (160 g with soft cotton cover), and this serves as a pump for both mats and as a pillow for me.

Cheers

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

This is really intriguing. I am on my own quest to improve my pillow situation, so I am just going to add to the knowledge base in this thread.

For a while I used clothes-in-a-stuff-sack but it stopped working for me. I switched to Exped pillows and that was great for a while but they’ve been bugging me now so I’ve begun to modify them.

For one, the neck support is a bit overkill for me. So I cut one down and resealed it to reduce the height of the neck support baffle and make it a flatter pillow. Actually I’ve done that on two of mine and it’s a definite improvement.

The side-to-side wobble of the pillow has also been bugging me, so I cut a couple circles into the baffle material to try to recreate the alternating baffle pattern of the Nemo Tensor pad. Sorry I didn’t take any pictures – this is *inside* the pillow, after cutting the neck support down but before resealing. I’m not sure it did much – I *think* it wobbles from side to side less but I could be fooling myself on that. I also changed the neck support so much that it’s hard to compare.

I also ordered a 0.5x18x18 inch piece of memory foam. The plan is to sew a soft cover onto the Exped pillow (sewing into the margins of the pillow, I’ll use an iron to widen them first) and then I cut down the memory foam to fit underneath it. By my calculations it will add about 2 oz, but we’ll see when it comes in.

I’ll have to figure out what material to use for the pillow cover. A cotton pillowcase is the obvious choice, although it might get wet from my breath on cold nights.

We’ll see how that all works – if it fails I might be seeking one of Luke’s pillows!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“A cotton pillowcase is the obvious choice, although it might get wet from my breath on cold nights.”

Supplex has sort of a cotton like feel, but doesn’t get wet.  Fleece is another choice although heavier

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kapok fiber also works pretty well as a pillow fill material. Silk pillow case is also pretty nice. Linen is also good and less slippery, but tends to weigh noticeably more.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Side sleeper here.

After serial valve failures and leaks with branded and Chinese inflatables, I’ve been taking the same route and experimenting with chunks of open-cell foam. I never found the inflatables very comfortable anyway – compressed air is hard stuff!

One tip to save a bit of weight – I’ve been putting something bulky under the head end of my inflatable pad. I mainly use my rain gear or a semi-inflated water bladder.

Raising the end of the pad like this means that you can get away with a smaller pillow. Works very well with my Exped Synmat.

Uncle Luke
    Spectator

@elboe805

I let my friend borrow mine over the weekend, his response-  You need to sell these!  So, check out gear swap, I’m going to start selling them!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Uncle Luke – Gear DEALS, not Gear Swap.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin

Uncle Luke
    Spectator

@elboe805

Roger-  whoops!  I already posted it!  Is there any way to delete the thread?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I moved it for you.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin

Bryan N
    BPL Member

@biff66

Uncle Luke,

Are you still selling these pillows?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Does the material you use make a crinkle sound when squeezed with the fingers?

Laying on your back with head on the pillow, does the pillow compress down to 1/2″ due to weight of your head?

The pillow is not made for side sleepers unless it’s folded in half correct?

Folded in half makes for a pillow only 5-1/2″ wide, front to back correct? When you move to go from one side to the other, the pillow has to be held onto and then refolded when turned over to other side correct?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Uncle Luke, where are you???

Does the material you use make a crinkle sound when squeezed with the fingers?

Laying on your back with head on the pillow, does the pillow compress down to 1/2″ due to weight of your head?

The pillow is not made for side sleepers unless it’s folded in half correct?

Folded in half makes for a pillow only 5-1/2″ wide, front to back correct? When you move to go from one side to the other, the pillow has to be held onto and then refolded when turned over to other side correct?

Uncle Luke
    Spectator

@elboe805

Sorry, been off the forum for a while!

1- the material doesn’t crinkle.  I’m using membrane for both sides now as opposed to cuben on the back.

2- it compresses more than 1/2″.  I’d say about 1/3rd of the overall loft, depending on how thick it is.  The standard size I’d say about 1/3rd.

3- you can use it as a side sleeper without folding it in half, but I find the increased loft keeps my cervical spine in better alignment equaling a much more comfortable nights sleep.

4-  correct, it will not stay folded without the weight of your head (or hands when rolling over) compressing it.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

wait, so where’s the gear deal thread? Cause I want.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

This made a pretty fabulous pillow last weekend (backpacked into a Sierra Club cabin):

It’s my short-length sleeping pad, inflated but not firm, folded over 5? times, and put inside a pants leg.  It was about 4 inches thick, really long (so my head wasn’t rolling off it) and the firmness I like (which could have easily been adjusted up or down).

Maybe an inflatable seat pad could be used as a single layer within such a pillow-burrito with clothes stuffed inside.  For the “pillow case”, the pants leg was a good size and these particular pants have a nice soft finish, but a larger pack-towel (if it had snaps or laces to form a tube) would make a very quiet fuzzy surface.

Bryan N
    BPL Member

@biff66

I had Uncle Luke make me a custom pillow that just shipped so I will report back when I get it. I wanted it “full-sized” for side sleeping without having to fold it for support. I also wanted a way to adjust the fill which Uncle Luke was glad to accommodate. He said even with all of my requirements he should still be able to keep it under 5 ounces. I am definitely into Ultra Light Backpacking, but at 52 I am not willing to compromise on sleeping comfort and will shave weight every where else in order to sleep comfortably. Any air pillow I’ve ever tried caused pressure in my sinuses and skull. Sidenote: I just ordered an MLD Cuben Prophet (14.5 oz) to replace my Exos for weekend outings so I should still be grams ahead after adding this to my gear. :)

Adam D
    Spectator

@adusty

I had Uncle Luke make me one and it is amazing! Comfortable, lightweight and a good price. This is my 9th backpacking pillow (Don’t tell the wife! #gearobsessed) Best one I’ve tried. Thanks Again Uncle Luke!

Highly Recommend!!!

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools