Topic

The Guilt of Bringing Luxury Item While Trying To Lower Base Weight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Blog Posts The Guilt of Bringing Luxury Item While Trying To Lower Base Weight

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Baosito
    BPL Member

@baosito

Companion forum thread to: The Guilt of Bringing Luxury Item While Trying To Lower Base Weight

I know everyone would bring at least one or two luxury items when they go on a backpacking trip. It could be an sitpad, a fancy chair, fishing gears (

Benjamin S
    BPL Member

@bhill3369

I fully understand your beginning struggles as I went through a similar process at the beginning.  I bought a cheaper backpack, tent, sleeping bag etc… Like you stated in your post I was thinking to myself oh I got this I can carry this heavy backpack 20 miles…  Well needless to say I did maybe 1/3 of the trip camped and went back to the car vs finishing as I was whooped and didn’t sleep very well that night. I have since got bit by the backpacking gear bug and LOVE gear and have different gear for different reasons/seasons etc… I love the gear almost as much as the destinations.

I looked at your lighter pack and you are doing well as my setups are usually around the 15-20 lb mark (depending on the trip) myself.  I don’t bring a lot of camera gear though. Maybe some moment lenses for my phone but it takes “good enough” pictures for me.  I’m scared to take a “good” camera as I don’t want to start adding lenses to my setup since the picture quality is so much better :).  The only suggestion I could think of would be the 20000 battery bank.  If you usually do shorter trips you may not need such a large battery bank and get a 10000 Nitecore NB10000 which weighs 5.26oz.

Rob
    Spectator

@pnwrambles

Locale: PNW

I moved from Ohio to Oregon in 1997. Surrounded by the beauty of Oregon I decided to take up backpacking with a combination of heavy gear and living in great shape made me feel really miserable on the trail. It was only upon returning home that I actually began to enjoy the trip. After one arduous journey my partner and I decided to become campers in day hikers. 20 years after giving up backpacking I decided to try it again as a way of celebrating my 50th birthday. Thankfully I was in a financial position to replace nearly all of my gear and had discovered how much better and lighter everything had become. I’ve done numerous trips in the last 11 months and I’m days away from heading off on A 60 mile solo trip to celebrate my 51st. My ability to lower my pack weight has renewed my love for this activity and allowed me to do so much more than I was able to do in my 30s with such an abundance of joy

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

One man’s luxury item is another man’s necessity…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools