Home › Forums › Administration & Support › Website: Bug Reports, Feature Requests, Known Issues, and Changelog › The BPL Website is Being Migrated to a New Server This Week
- Jun 19, 2017 at 9:55 am #3474027
We are migrating backpackinglight.com to a new server this week, and I’ll post progress and updates here and on our Facebook page as it progresses.
If you experience any errors on the site, please let us know by posting them as new bug reports. See this post for instructions.
Today, we are installing software updates on the existing server and will monitor the stability of the site in response to those updates for at least 24 hours before moving to the next phase of the migration.
In addition, today and tomorrow we are doing database maintenance to clean things up.
What to expect this week?
1. There will be a few minutes of downtime today.
2. You may experience slower than normal performance today and tomorrow as we work on the databases.
3. When the migration actually occurs (later this week), the site will go through a few phases of reduced functionality: (a) databases will first be locked up which will prevent posting to forums, changing member account data, purchasing subscriptions, etc. and (b) the site will be unavailable for a period of 1 to 4 hours when it’s moved to the new server and tested.
4. When the migration (step 3) is complete, the site should be faster. There will otherwise be no changes to the site and it will be a mirror image of what you see today.
5. As soon as we understand how the new server handles our traffic, and have ensured that it’s stable, we’ll begin the process of performing a number of upgrades that will improve site usability, including:
– We have a rumor from inside the bbPress team (our forum software) that a major upgrade (the one we’ve all been waiting for) is due to be released week. This will be priority #1 for us, and will resolve the slow forum queries and slow posting bugs, among a number of other smaller issues. Once bbPress releases this update, we’ll probably wait for it to be deployed for a few weeks, install it on our staging server, and then cautiously migrate it to our live platform. If bbPress stays on schedule and releases the update this week, and it doesn’t introduce any major issues, we’ll install this update sometime in July.
– We are working on the new site theme (user interface design), and are planning to install it later in the summer or early September. The goal of this update is simply to further increase site speed and make the site more visually appealing and easier to use.
– Once the new theme has been installed and is stable, we’ll continue the process of evaluating some of the feature requests that you’ve been asking for, especially with respect to forum features, separation of the gear swap, etc. For now, work on these will remain on hold – as I’ve mentioned previously, we really need to have the new bbPress version installed and the site running stable on the new server before doing any code work on the forums, or we’ll end up having to do the work twice.
Thanks for your patience this week. Hopefully no major snafus will occur. This migration should go much smoother than our last one in November 2015! We’ve already completed a successful test run of the migration with no issues and have thoroughly load-tested that test site. We’re excited to have some speed improvements!Jun 19, 2017 at 10:29 am #3474030
Thank You!! Much anticipated.Jun 19, 2017 at 1:42 pm #3474071
Update: We have completed the software updates scheduled for today, so I wouldn’t expect anymore downtime in the next 24 hours. Do expect some slowdown here and there or occasional 404/502 server errors as we work on database cleanup for the remainder of today.Jun 19, 2017 at 4:24 pm #3474094
Jeffs ElevenBPL Member
Are you suggesting that websites migrate?Jun 19, 2017 at 7:03 pm #3474123
Godspeed.Jun 19, 2017 at 8:37 pm #3474146
And go litening fast.Jun 20, 2017 at 5:27 am #3474171
Michael RayBPL Member
Is that a European or African website?Jun 20, 2017 at 9:08 am #3474203
It seems a lot quicker….or is it just me.Jun 20, 2017 at 9:31 am #3474210
@jamesdmarco you’ll see speed all over the board today, sometimes pretty snappy (a result of yesterday’s software updates), sometimes pretty slow (a result of today’s database cleanup).Jun 20, 2017 at 1:01 pm #3474269
Brad RogersBPL Member
@mocs123Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Thank you for the updates RyanJun 20, 2017 at 1:08 pm #3474271
Mike WhitesellBPL Member
European websites are non-migratoryJun 20, 2017 at 2:56 pm #3474298
Update: all of our software updates and database maintenance has been completed. The one bug reported yesterday during this phase has been resolved. Error logs are stable. We are ready for migration.
Now we’re just waiting for a 6 or 8 hour window where our tech staff can be all-hands-on-deck for the move to the new server.
Maybe it will happen tonight?Jun 20, 2017 at 3:01 pm #3474299
Ethan A.BPL Member
@mountainwalkerLocale: SF Bay Area & New England
Thanks for the updates. On a positive note I’ve found loading speed has significantly improved.Jun 20, 2017 at 5:40 pm #3474332
I wonder if I’m the only one who isn’t seeing improved loading speeds, especially when I click on Recent Topics.Jun 20, 2017 at 5:53 pm #3474338
Just took eight seconds to reload this page.
Home page is fast but like Doug the recents takes a while to load. Blockers on or off is the same.Jun 21, 2017 at 12:24 am #3474368
The server migration was completed at about midnight tonight. It went pretty smooth – huge Kudos to our tech team at the new host. The whole thing took about 5 hours, quite a bit quicker than what we originally thought. Maybe the storm will hit tomorrow ;) ?
It will take the next 24 hours or so to get the server fully configured, and for our new caching algorithms to “learn” our visitor’s browsing behavior. Most users will see significant improvements in page load speed immediately, with additional boosts for all users within 72 hours.
That’s a wrap for tonight, we’ll continue optimizing the server and CDN / caching configuration tomorrow.
If you observe weird behavior or bugs that weren’t there before the migration, please file a bug report in this forum.
Jun 21, 2017 at 12:35 am #3474369
- This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Ryan Jordan.
Cole CrawfordBPL Member
@cdc43339Locale: Somerville, MA
Thanks Ryan – can definitely see a significant speed increase already. Looking forward to the future UX update as well.Jun 21, 2017 at 7:45 am #3474391
Safari 10.1 on MacOS Sierra w/Ublock Origin
I am seeing a much faster page load. The first load with cleared cache and freshly started browser is often ~3-4 sec, but most subsequent loads are 1 sec or less. Perhaps more importantly there is no load speed difference between logged in and not. Prior to site upgrade the speed difference was ~10:1 in favor of not logged in.
Time to submit a post is also massively reduced…probably on the same 10:1 order.Jun 21, 2017 at 10:04 am #3474412
I’m seeing much faster page loads this morning as well.Jun 21, 2017 at 10:11 am #3474414
Today, we are configuring our content distribution network (CDN) and caching servers, which create copies of pages, code, widgets, and other website elements at locations “near you”. The idea is that if you request something on a page (or a whole page) that hasn’t changed since the last time you requested it, it will download to your browser much faster with a cached copy stored on a computer by you.
These configurations tend to be tricky, and they can disrupt the immediate appearance of forum posts and accurate post timestamps. Please keep an eye out for problems here and post a bug report if you see anything weird related to this.
As of now, the CDN and caching has been enabled, so the site *should* be running even faster than it was a few hours ago. Page load times should continue to improve as the site gets distributed around the CDN.Jun 21, 2017 at 12:39 pm #3474461
Valerie EBPL Member
@wildtownerLocale: Grand Canyon State
Thank you, Ryan! Wow — I’ve had a day and night change in loading times (Windows 10/Chrome).
BPL went from “omg-how-long-can-a-website-possibly-take-forget-it-i’ll-just-close-the-tab-and-do-something-else” to “normal” website overnight. Whew.Jun 21, 2017 at 1:14 pm #3474465
Sorry for the drift,
Why was this thread not posted in
Would be a great place to post those newsletters and bits of info.
Puzzling how little use it gets
Jun 21, 2017 at 3:41 pm #3474539
- This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by ken.
Eric BlumensaadtBPL Member
@danepackerLocale: Mojave DesertJun 21, 2017 at 3:49 pm #3474540
Mark HBPL Member
Content deleted by mod – this issue has already been filed as a Bug Report.
Jun 22, 2017 at 5:07 am #3474665
- This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Ryan Jordan.
The topic ‘The BPL Website is Being Migrated to a New Server This Week’ is closed to new replies.