Topic

Tent help for 2 people (1 tall)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent help for 2 people (1 tall)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jeff
    Spectator

@skroober-2

Some background info. Will be used for gf and myself. I’m 6’3″ (maybe even 6’4″ depending on how I measure myself…) girlfriend is around 5’5″. We both have Neoair Xlite pads, mine is a large and hers womens regular and a long Enlightened Equipment Accomplice. I’m a back sleeper and she mix of side in fetal and back.

Currently have a Tarptent Stratospire 2, it’s a great tent except I find it too short. When laying out on my large Xlite with a pillow I find either I hit the mesh walls or I will with a little movement.

I bought a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL3 to try out and I love it! Plenty of room for me to lay on my back and stretch out. Problem is my girlfriend tells me she hates it. She says she wants a mesh door so she can see out of it and get a breeze.

So I need some help now. What tents should we consider? To recap some requirements

• Be able to fit someone 6’3″-6’4″ on a 2.5″ air pad with pillow and sleeping on back
    • Mesh window
    • 2 doors
    • would like to be able to keep packs in vestibules
    • I initially was looking for something double wall, but there doesn’t appear to be any lightweight tents left that meet our other requirements
    • would be nice if we could both sit up at the same time.
    Jacob Craner
    BPL Member

@remit-2

I just bought an REI quarter dome T3 (I’m 6’4″, wife is 5’5″) and it is great.  Just a touch short on the outside edge.  We both have 25″ wide pads, and there is about 10-12″ to spare.  I think you should check out the T2.  Full mesh, two doors, and the T3 even has an extra vestibule at the head end.  They are really affordable compared to the BA Copper Spurs, and very similar.

Jeff
    Spectator

@skroober-2

I actually was thinking of that around when I posted this, but blanked on mentioning it. I even posted on gear swap to see if anyone has one.

It’s a little heavier then I was hoping for, but won’t be too bad as we are sharing most of our gear.

So far I think that is our front runner, if I can find the mesh version.

Jeff
    Spectator

@skroober-2

And if we do decide to go with a true double wall…

Jacob Craner
    BPL Member

@remit-2

My top “lighter” pick was TT double rainbow.  It is 88″ long if memory serves me, but I worried about the wall slant and I wanted something freestanding.

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

I have a Lightheart Gear Duo. I’m 6’4″, and fit in the tent. Both my wife and I can sit up in it. Doors can be fully rolled back so views can be had out each side (however no views out the foot or head end). There is a vestibule on each side. If you get it with the ‘porch’ feature you’ll have one side which has a considerably larger vestibule that can be propped up for views and cooking even in rain. The set up can be strange at first, but now that I’ve gotten it down, it’s quite easy.

The tent does require two trekking poles for setup, which isn’t an issue for me, but may be for you.

I  find that at times condensation can be annoying by my face, as the wall isn’t especially steep. The moisture from my breathing is the culprit for this I imagine.

One other note, purely aesthetic- I dont like the color combo option for the tent that is currently offered. The pewter and grey, blah. Camo is okay. Mine is a used model from a year or two ago, and solid green which I love. YMMV

Good luck with your search!

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Just got our duplex in the mail this weekend and WOW if this thing handles condensation as well as I’ve heard I have no regrets. I cannot wait to give this thing a go. If you fit and can somehow make it affordable it seems like a no brainer. At around 5’8 we have extra head room and plenty of space for our packs at our feet. It sets up faster and no worries for a dry pitch in a down pour like the Fly Creek 2 we are coming from. And this thing is huge in comparison.  So glad I made due and saved for this one.

Jeff
    Spectator

@skroober-2

Price isn’t an issue, so we decided to go all in and place in order for the Triplex in .74 oz spruce (along with some other goodies).

Hopefully we will have a Stratospire 2 for sale when we get it.

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

Wow, enjoy the new Triplex!

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

+1 Enjoy.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools