Topic

Tarptent Stratospire 1 stakes first pitchi

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Stratospire 1 stakes first pitchi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Phil C
    Spectator

@rockee

Locale: (null)

I recently spent 2 weeks along the Canadian icefields biking and hiking between Jasper and Banff. I used the Tarptent Stratospire 1 and loved it, though since the weather was spectacular I was not able to checkout its storm resistance. My trekking poles have particularly short, sharp metal tips and so assembling the tent could have greatly benefited from a third arm. I came up with the following “stakes first” method that others might like. It has the added benefit of allowing precise placement and orientation of the tent.

Using some paracord I constructed a rectangle with loops at the corners. The dimensions I use are about 156 cm x 221 cm (I was in Canada). I also made a cord with loops at each end that was 270cm long, corresponding to the diagonal. When I got home I made a more permanent version with some light, fiber washers that were about ¾ in I.D. rather than loops. It weighs next to nothing.  If you do not have a tape measure with you, just set up the tent, borrowing an arm, equalize the stake positions, and use those to tie the loops.

So the method then is to layout the rectangle, using the long cord to make sure it is a rectangle. Having loops allows putting in the stakes and making the cords taut. Once the stakes are in, remove the cords. Then put the trekking pole in a bit from a short side and connect two tent loops to the stakes. Holding the tent with one hand, walk around and put the pole in the other end, and attach the loops. Having the stakes near their proper position in the ground, appropriately tilted, keeps the tent upright. Then a few more stakes, readjust and you are done.

The inner compartment is not parallel to any of the rectangle sides so the orientation will only be close to the rectangle. The compartment makes about a 30 degree angle from one of the short sides, opening away from the stake closest to the label (on my tent). I don’t know if Tarptent is consistent on the label placement.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Here is Franco setting up the two person version stakes first.

YouTube video

Phil C
    Spectator

@rockee

Locale: (null)

Ah.  Perhaps easier.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools