Topic

Tarptent Notch vs Moment DW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Notch vs Moment DW

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Flat Hat
    BPL Member

@hatflat-2

Locale: Northern California

Thinking about a Notch or a Moment for a solo tent.  I am 6’3

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Do you use trekking poles?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Good question Paul because the Notch did come about to please trekking pole users.

When Henry Shires was designing the Moment, someone asked about a version for pole users, so he made it happen.

I changed from the original Moment to the Notch because I always use the poles, otherwise I would have stuck to the Moment because I do like that design a lot.

( and I still have the fastest, proven, set up time for it…49 sec. Should be in the Guinness World Records Book given that I drink that stuff anyway)

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’m 6’5″ and have a Notch.  I barely fit.  (Henry claims it’ll fit up to 6’9″, but I find that improbable.)  I can sit up with a two-step scoot/sit maneuver.  The inner tent is right in my face when lying down, but I can live with it.  It’s tight, but it works and I’m happy with it except for winter camping when the cramped space gets bothersome on long nights.  Does pretty well in the wind as long as the end stakes are solid.  I now use 8-inch Eastons on the ends after the shorter ones pulled out a time or two in heavy wind.

Flat Hat
    BPL Member

@hatflat-2

Locale: Northern California

Paul S:  Yes

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’m on my 2nd Moment.The 1st was the original single wall. Sold it to get the DW. Great tent design and very wind-worthy when properly guyed out and the fly hem is staked down. My DW did well in 60+ mph gusts and steady 40 mph winds. (US Weather Service data)

Both moments had the optional Crossing Pole fun under the fly for better fly support. See “The Tarptent Thread” for a photo of this setup with my DW.

The Notch is a great design for hiking pole supported tent but may not be as wind-worthy as the DW and is not for snow loads.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Notch is a great design for hiking pole supported tent but may not be as wind-worthy as the DW and is not for snow loads”.

It isn’t marketed as a 4 season tent but if set up correctly it does well under some snow.

my Notch :

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

6’2″ and outgrown my original Moment. My head hits the ceiling way too much. I think the DW is even shorter inside vertically.

How does a grey-bearded man outgrow a tent? By upgrading to a thicker sleeping pad. Seems a lot of people (and tent designers) don’t factor in 3.5 inch pads like the Nemo Astro Insulated Lite. I started with a (much thinner) Z-Lite.

My next tent will probably be the (single) Rainbow.

Apparently your sitting height is half your standing height. So I need at least 40 inches including the Nemo pad and sleeping bag. With most tents “peaked” at the top, I really need a few more inches than that. The Rainbow spec is 43 inches interior height, so it should work.

— Rex

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools