Topic

Standard mummy bag used as a quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Standard mummy bag used as a quilt?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

So I have a typical Kelty Cosmic long 20 down bag.  Not my favorite but does the trick for $150 new.

I’m guessing I’m not the first to do this but I discovered it on my own.   I unzip it all the way and use it like a quilt.  With the bag’s foot box, my NeoLite pad fits right in perfectly.  The rest of the bag naturally tucks around.  I have used it this way for 3 nights and really like it.  I can move around and am not constricted as I was before.  Though it hasn’t been colder than 40 degrees so far, I have not felt any chill/ cold spots whatsoever.  I actually feel more heat from my pad now than before.  This could just be my perception but I am stoked on this new, no cost find.

I now want a $400 quilt.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Standard route into quilts. The loose lay of the quilt over you eliminates the thin patches you get with a SB.

Cheers

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I turned an old western mountaineering highlite, which is far too containing, into a quilt. I sewed a a couple of mitten hooks on either side in imitation of the Katabatic system so I can lock the thing down if it gets cold and drafty. 

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

I could of course also zip it up if it got really cold, or if I wanted to prepare myself for what happens when the men in white coats come t take me away.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Folks use sleeping bags like that all the time when its warmer  …its usually works around 10-20F above its rating

below that you just zip it up and use it normally

;)

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Yeah, been using “quilts” since 1975… just didn’t know it :)

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Locale: Rustbelt

I had a seamstress remove the zipper and hood from my old Kelty Lightyear.  We now use it as a loner or “junk” bag for car camping and such.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools