Topic

Sony lens 55-210mm

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Sony lens 55-210mm

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Besides size/weight, a challenge for me with telephoto lenses would be switching lenses in a rush because I see a bear.

It rather use the Sony 24-70mm or 18-105mm while hiking so I could swap from wide to semi-telephoto when I see wildlife.

That said, the best wildlife shots I captured were on a Sony ax53 handicam.  It’s horrible in low light, but it has a 200mm reach and gimbal like stabilization.  My wife used it on our Rae Lakes film project.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I am enjoying the ins and outs of this camera, but what I discovered on the kit lens is while even in manual mode, it won’t allow me to manually focus. Is there a way to cancel all auto focus?

Prime lens interest: Rokinon 12mm, new Sigma 16mm f1.4, Sony 35mm and an adapter to use my old Pentax 50mm vintage.

Not sure what I would like to just use for an all purpose lens, for travel and landscape. I am thinking the 35mm, or a toss up between the Sony 28mm and Sigma 30mm.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I have the Sony 35mm.  It’s a great lens but not quite wide enough for me for landscape.   If I had to choose 1 prime, I’d bring my 28mmf2.

I also have the Sigma 30 1.4.  Great lens.  AF is a little slow, but it’s sharper and brighter than the 28.   I’d say the 28mm is more contrasty, adds more character and the AF is faster.

I just picked up the rokinon 12 specifically for astro photography.   Would be great for landscape as long as you’re good with manual focus.  It can be tough with a wide lens but focus peaking makes it easier.

The new Sigma 16 is supposed to be awesome, but it’s 14oz.

Hope that helps.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

It sure does help. I’m looking at the 28mm f2 while prices are decent.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hi Donna,

Regarding manual focus.  A number of Sony lenses don’t allow for an automatic override for manual focus.  For these lenses you’ll have to dive into the menu but you can shortcut to that function by pushing the Fn button on the back of the camera and using the multi function dial to click to the focus sub menu.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ian

By “Automatic override”, do you mean pressing the manual focus button or switch on the lens itself?

Or perhaps you mean an AF+Manual assist mode where you can do an initial focus with AF and then, with the shutter pressed halfway, fine tune the focus manually with the focus ring on the lense.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I think we’re talking about the same thing.

Some Sony lenses are set up where you have to jump into the menu to switch from autofocus to manual focus.  With these lenses, if the camera body is set to autofocus, you can’t manually fine tune the focus but manipulating the focus ring.

Other lenses are set up where the camera body is set to autofocus but if you manipulate the focus ring, it will override autofocus and allow you to manually focus the camera.

Other lenses have a physical switch on the lens allowing you to quickly go from auto to manual focus.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Thanks, Ian. I got it. I did switch it to MF and what confused me was when I turned the focus ring, the camera magnified the object and I had no clue what was going on. But because I have my peak focus on, I saw to use the focus ring, got a clear magnified image, hit the shutter button half way, the magnification went back to the original setting and I had a sharp focus. Way cool! I doubt this is something that I would use on the fly while hiking…unless I get used to it, and stop for a break, but certainly on day hikes and playing around with it. DMF allows a final adjustment after autofocus.

I probably still need a point and shoot!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Ah gotcha.  I really like the focus magnification feature.  I programmed the custom button next to the shutter button (C1?) to focus magnification for when I’m shooting with adapted lenses.  When I’m using the faster apertures like f1.8, it’s nice to be able to zoom in and ensure the eye or whatever is in sharp focus.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

I am still figuring out how I want to set some of the function buttons and locations. I think the C1 is a great spot for focus. I haven’t really used digital cameras, just the usual old school SLR. So this is pretty fun and I’m looking forward to adding this camera to my pack.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Santa is coming early. I bit the bullet and bought the Rokinon 12mm f2 from Amazon Prime with a $15 coupon ( just click yes on coupon box) for $254. Yes, ok, its silver, but who cares? Now that I figured out magnified focus and peak focus and used to manual lenses, this should be fun to play with on the trail. Pictures to follow! Woot!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Yeah the a6000 is like having a small handheld computer that happens to take great pictures.  It’s really neat how it can be customized.

I’ve had my eye on that Rokinon for a while now.  Some day I’ll need to pull the trigger on it.

Unfortunately I had to spend my lunch money on a new photography backpack to replace the one I’ve outgrown and tripod to replace the one I broke.  Not exciting stuff like a new lens but necessary, or at least “necessary” in the sense of making my hobby more enjoyable.

Tom D.
    BPL Member

@dafiremedic

Locale: Southern California

I bought that Rokinon 12mm 2.0 for myself for Christmas, I’m really likin’ it. Set it at F/8 or so, just short of infinity focus, and everything from about 5′ and beyond is sharp. I tried some long exposures with it the other day up on Mt. Baldy:

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Here is a picture from my Sony kit lens at 34mm, F5,ISO 3200. I was having trouble resizing this picture from my Preview. This is exactly how it was taken. No cropping.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools