Topic

So Cal GGG 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips So Cal GGG 2017

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Gathering of Gear Geeks

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Ha! Perfect.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The Kens won’t admit it, but here’s where they got the idea to call it a GGG.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Good comments everyone.  As always pleasing everyone regarding location/date just won’t happen. My current thinking is Henninger has the advantage of ease of access and control of the space.  If enough people do show up Little Jimmy could be problematic.  The last time I was up there we had to camp outside of the main campground in a limited space.  I don’t mind the drive so much but I live in Pasadena.  For those coming from other areas it is a long drive for a short trip. That goes for Valley Forge, West Fork or about anything off the Angeles Crest Hwy.

So, I propose we settle on the May 5, 6, 7 suggested dates and go to Henninger Flats.  I can reserve Fuji Camp which will give us plenty of room.  If anyone is worried about the water I can arrange to have some bottled water hauled up to the camp.

I’ll give it a few days for further input before slamming the gavel down…………….

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

Henninger hike in the dark should be easy for everyone. The lights of the city make it so that you don’t even need a headlamp. I was there a couple weeks ago and there was water.

How are you’ll getting water trucked up? If its through the ranger guy up there, I think there is a new one now. A young lady in uniform and shield checked my permit last time.

Plenty of wood also.

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Henninger sounds good to me now for all of the practical reasons. My 2 cents.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

They will haul water up when they do a shift change.  It needs to be delivered to the LA county fire department on Eaton Canyon Dr. Again, it would be nice if we/me didn’t have to make those arrangements. I think everyone would have a water treatment method of their choice.

The new main “ranger” at Henninger is Kathleen Delos-Reyes.  Some of you might remember Susanna. She was promoted out of Henninger and Kathleen has taken over.  Kathleen seems to love her new position and my encounters with her have been very positive.

There will be about a 3/4 moon, subject to cloud cover, that would make a hike in the dark easy enough.  The main trailhead gate is closed a dusk.    There is another trailhead entry that is not gated. I’ll be posting details if/when we commit to the proposed plan.

You mention a permit Brando.  Before others start wondering where they get a permit, not to worry. I’ll get the permit for the group.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Yeah, I think Henninger on balance is probably the best choice.  There are even picnic tables there (OK, so it’s not deep in the heart of the wilderness) for demos and stuff.  We had some cool gear spread out last time, which was fun.

I have 1.5 bazillion stoves, so if there’s something you’ve been wanting to see, let me know, and I’ll try to haul it up.  Largest I’ll carry is an Optimus 111, maybe.  If my daughter comes, then I have to carry her stuff too.

I’ve been drinking the water at Henninger for more years than I can count (I worked for a Pasadena based company for 21 years) and have never had a problem.

HJ

Jake J
    BPL Member

@psykokid

Locale: Socal

Sounds like fun, missed last year due to commitments with my son’s boy scout troop. Checked the calendar and it looks like smooth sailing that weekend. Will be nice to get out and put some faces to names :)

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

It’s a go! The fourth annual GGG/SOCAL will be held May 5,6,7 at Henninger Flats in the San Gabriel Mountains.  I’ll be posting detailed information in a few days.  Please start spreading the word to those you think might be interested.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

never mind …I had a smart ass answer for Matthew but that was an old question on the first page..

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hey Doug, you can’t pin that name on me. It’s all Tony’s doing.

YouTube video

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Huzzah!   Now let’s see if I can talk my boss into a day off on Friday.

HJ

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

GGG/SOCAL 2017  The details….

When: May 5,6,7 (Fri, Sat, Sun)

Where:  Henninger Flats in the San Gabriel Mountains above Pasadena (the scene of the 2014 and 2016 GGG gatherings). Water (treatment recommended by some), pit toilets and firewood provided. There are no fire rings but there are standing camp stoves with open fronts. The facility is operated by the County of Los Angeles Fire Dept. It’s about a 2.7 mile hike with a 1400′ elevation gain.

I’ve reserved the entire Fuji Camp area which is uppermost camp.  There are three camping areas. Lower camp is the first area to the left of the road/trail. On your right will be a signed trail leading up the hill to Upper Camp. Past Upper Camp and higher up is Fuji Camp.

Map: http://tinyurl.com/ll5eagl

Cost: $0

No official sign up sheet this year. Just come on up and enjoy.

Additional info will surely follow.  All errors are due to age.

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Hey everyone! Been a long time.  I will try to make those dates in May.  Looking forward to this…

If I make it, I will have some 3D printed goodies for everyone (whistles, carabiners, rope tensioners, etc.)

-Angus (mangus7175)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’m in. My first SoCal GGG. Looking forward to it.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’m thrilled you and Tom are coming down Doug.

But it ups the pressure substantially.  How will we receive our northern guests of honor?  I’m going to see if I can’t hire my school’s marching band for the day.

Angus, hope you can make it, it would be good to hang out again.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Badly wish we could attend but we’ve got a wedding that weekend. It’d be nice to meet you all! Maybe 2018!

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Hi everyone! I’m pretty new to actually posting on these forums, but everyone’s knowledge has been super helpful . I’m planning on taking a couple friends on their first backpacking trip this weekend, but would love to attend one of these years to meet you guys. Have a great weekend!

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Michael–maybe I’m having a senior moment but if your trip is this weekend you still have three weeks until the GGG on May 5,6,7.

Don’t miss Hikin’ Jim’s stove pyrotechnics and Jon Fong’s magical baking skills.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I will also be bringing a few oddball stoves to delight the crowd, including the latest revision wax stove.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

2016 GGG.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Gotta love the pyrotechnics.  I’ll try not to immolate anyone this year; I promise.

Jon, looking forward to seeing one of those wax burners.

HJ

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

OK. So what’s the deal with parking there? Looks like a lot of red curb in that neighborhood.

And if one were to arrive after dusk, where is the other entry located?

Thanks!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools