Topic

Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo vs. TarpTent StratoSpire 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo vs. TarpTent StratoSpire 2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Keith L
    Spectator

@klaurenz-2

Looking to get a lighter 2 person tent that can also take a large doggo. I have narrowed it down to the two tents listed for the following reasons: utilization of trekking poles, duel entry/vestibule, full bug protection (and keeping the dog in), side entry, vertical side walls, cost, weight, and reputation.

I have done some homework with this helpful tent guide but am fully ready to hear other suggestions if there was an obvious one that I missed. I don’t totally dig the lighter TT Saddle 2 because the set-up doesn’t look as enjoyable as the ones listed and the space isn’t as good. I also considered the SMD Haven tarp+inner and that one isn’t out of the question yet but maybe space might be a factor though the weight savings are significant. CF is too expensive to justify the cost for us. Would love to hear your thoughts!

About us: I am 6’1″, the SO is 5’3″, we are fine sleeping close together, we like having our own entrances and vestibules, we camp in humid/hot weather in Michigan sometimes but the single walled tents don’t bother us especially if it means ease of set-up/take-down but obviously don’t like a sleeping bag to get wet when I feel touch the wall. We do like a tent that stuffs rather than rolls (minus points for the SS2), and a tent that can stand up to foul weather would also be reassuring since we have plans to get above the tree line in the near future. We would like a tent that’s a good bang for your buck and can perform well (enough) in all conditions. This will likely be a one-stop-shop two person shelter for us since we don’t want to spend the doe on specialized shelters. Looking at the designs in the pictures for both tents, it seems head-room wise the Lunar Duo is a bit better? and it seems you can save even more weight by not bringing the two struts that go over the trekking poles to expand tent fabric length wise. It seems like weight savings, ease of set-up and space wise the Duo is a bit better even considering the single wall disadvantages, but TarpTent has a better reputation and customer service/return policy hence my struggle. That being said, what do you think?

PS: I searched a bit to see what already exists on the topic and was surprised to see little info on the comparison so please share if you know of a conversation that has already happened (recently).

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

In my limited experience with the SS2, I have loved it. The minor annoyance of the non-stuffable struts is offset by their utility (sleeping bag foot much less likely to touch wall).

I’m 5’6″, I use it for trips with my, now-9-year old, son. No dog. No rain yet. In what we have experienced: It’s been pleasant to be in, I enjoy setting it up (OK, I am good at geometry), and it is aesthetically very pleasing. The amount of head room has been fine for us.

You probably also saw that Henry now offers that little netted side car for your dog.

I have seen a Lunar in person, but not slept in it. I would expect the SS2 to handle wind better than the Lunar – which was described by the owner as “a sail.” (Likewise I ruled out the Haven because it doesn’t quite – at least by the specs –  fit two wide pads.)

Value wise – I purchased mine used by listing a WTB on the gear swap here and got a quick response from a familiar member name. I see them come up from time to time.

Another advantage of the SS2 is the possibility for swapping in the solid inner. I’m thinking about getting that eventually as my daughter is eager to go winter camping.

So yeah, I’m a big SS2 cheerleader. And yes, that’s my son in the SS2 in my avi.

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

I bring the Lunar Duo when the wife comes along, it’s a palace on the inside. As far as weather protection, the two worst weather events I have been in we’re in the Duo. One was recently in NC on a bald in a awful wind storm and it did great, 4 shelters around us failed, we were the only ones left untouched.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I also considered the SMD Haven tarp+inner and that one isn’t out of the question yet but maybe space might be a factor though the weight savings are significant.

You’re looking for two people plus a dog inside? Then eliminate the Haven. I have it, and it’s a great shelter. I looked at it just the way you are — space is tight but significant weight savings. In my situation the Haven makes sense, two smaller people than the two of you and without a dog. Our pads (one 20×72 and one 23×78) take up nearly all the usable floor space.

It’s maybe possible that you could all squeeze in, but it would be very tight no matter how you might be able to optimize it. You have other choices that offer breathing room, the weight penalty is worth it IMO.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

“Looking at the designs in the pictures for both tents, it seems head-room wise the Lunar Duo is a bit better?”
    Depending on how you hang the inner to the fly you will have 46″ to 48″ under the two inner high spots.
    I am 5’8″ my wife about 5’6″ but we both have about a foot of space over our heads.
    Note how you can sit under those points facing each other :

There is plenty of space for a dog inside the vestibule but the floor does take 3x 20″ wide mats so maybe inside the inner too if that is what you want to do :

you can better see on this shot the available headroom .

As for saving weight with the Lunar Duo not using the apex struts , I could not find a photo of it set up like that .

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

These are pretty different shelters, because the Lunar Duo is mostly a single wall.

The offset poles and corner struts add a lot of headroom in the SS2. The poles do help in the LD, but I’d go with the SS2 as it’s a double wall and has the corner struts for about the same weight.

DancingBear
    BPL Member

@dancingbear

Locale: Central Indiana

I’ve been using the Lunar Duo for almost 3 years now, and I like it pretty well.  I’m 6′, my wife is 5’6 and our dog is 65 pounds, and there’s plenty of space for the pooch at my wife’s feet, and space for personal gear as well.

I’ve never tried pitching it without the spreader bars, but I seriously doubt it would work very well.

The LD is basically a single-wall tent, so condensation can be an issue in cold but humid weather.  I’ve found that if you roll up the sides it does a lot better, though of course if it’s actually raining that isn’t an option.  It is possible to raise the bottom edge of the vestibules up about 8″, and that helps in cases where completely opening up the sides isn’t possible.

But I’ve seen bad condensation in double-wall tents in similar conditions.  I mostly backpack in Indiana, so I’m no stranger to humidity, and I still like the LD.

I haven’t had any problems with wind stability, but I do habitually seek out sheltered locations if I think it’s going to be windy, and pitch it end-on to the wind.

Hope that helps!

Walt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools