Topic

Simplifying a kit by taking as few things as possible

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Blog Posts Simplifying a kit by taking as few things as possible

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Simplifying a kit by taking as few things as possible

I’ve spent many years testing the idea that a kit that contains as few items as possible is very satisfying because there’s fewer things to keep track of…

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

That is an impressively short list.  I notice some items missing from your list that would seem to be required or highly prudent:

• FAK
    • Knife or blade of some sort

Are these left off the list as a matter of convenience, or do you really not carry them?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I love it. Thats my mantra.. not so much worried or concerned about the weight because it is down there to where i dont notice it on my back and I can hike many miles without any discomfort. My concern is taking as few things as possible so I have less to worry about looking for and keeping track of, which in turn, keeps my pack weight very low too. Your list, as usual is spot on.. however,  why the DCF stake sack? I have ditched my stake sack and simply keep my stakes with my tarp.. so no need to look for that little sack early in the morning when Im breaking down camp.. again, the weight is negligent.. but “ughh.. where is that stake sack?”.. a few times to make me finally leave it home…

Not to implement buying another pack, but with your kit that minimal and amount of gear.. you could easily carry the Zpacks Sub Nero pack if inclined..

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Such a great idea. When I worked at Philmont in the 90’s, I slowly dropped various bits of gear as the summer went on. Toward the end I didn’t bring my issued tent and just slept under the crew’s dining fly, for example.

I try to keep decisions on what to bring to a minimum as well. Since my trips are split 50/50 between going solo or with a partner, I tend to keep the two-person side of things “in stock” and then remove a utensil, swap the shelter, etc, if I go alone. The toilet/FAK zippered pouch stays the same even if I go solo, despite the few extra things it contains.

Pocket Tarp question  – I know that design has been around forever, but what’s the tallest person it could reasonable fit?

Ryan, do you avoid buggy campsites, or just drape the Versalite over your head if needed?

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Love this kit and looks very similar to mine.  I just switched out my Hexamid Pocket Tarp for the SlingFin SplitWing.  For 1.5 more oz. it provides much more square footage.  For years, in stormy/windy weather, when I had to keep the Pocket Tarp low, I’d struggle with my sleeping bag foot box and hood being wet in the morning from contact with the DFC at either end.  No more with the SplitWing.  Soooo much more room!  And I love the loops at the top to connect my Borah Bivy when needed.  I’m also watching lots of my DFC gear start to wear and fail.  The SplitWing 10D Nylon 66 Ripstop Sil/Sil gives me a lot of confidence that this piece of gear will last for years to come.  I wanted to make the switch before my other system failed and get it to someone else with a lot of good miles left of that kit.

All this said, I never use the tarp unless I have to.  Cowboy Camping for me!

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Adam, in wet weather or dewy mornings do you see any sag on the Splitwing? (Sorry for the thread drift.)

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Not as of yet with a tight pitch.  I’m heading out for a couple nights this weekend in foggy weather so more testing to come!!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

@ JCH: I don’t carry a FAK or knife on short trips. These aren’t any type of trips where I’m taking much risk. I rarely use my FAK on long expeditions anymore outside of dressing minor cuts, etc. When I don’t carry a FAK, I’m usually pretty careful to frequently rinse scratches (the most common injury I get) with treated water. Maybe one packet of antibiotic ointment would serve as the minimalists’ version of a FAK here?!

@ dirtbag – the stake sack will be my next thing to go! Yes, everything fits in the subnero just fine. Gotta get me one of those.

@ Chris K – I don’t avoid bugs, but I’m usually to bed late enough and up early enough that the temps are cold enough (here in the mountains of the Rockies at least) where bug pressure is minimal. I would probably add a headnet if I was in Yellowstone. Otherwise, draping the rain jacket over my head is a reasonable idea, I’ve done that before several times.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Another thing is putting away items before going to sleep and even having a cold (instant?) breakfast. Past an overnighter though, there’s probably going to be more gear but does it have to be out overnight (= already packed in the morning).   Then again there’s packing the sleeping insulation (and perhaps the puffy) in the bottom of the typical roll top.  I know a UL pack maker trying to bring back an added zipper opening to a pack.

Mustard Tiger
    BPL Member

@sbpark

Locale: West Coast

I agree on not needing to take a substantial FAK aside from a small packet of antibiotic ointment, a few bandaids, blister pads, a few alcohol preps, a few Motrin, Tylenol, Zofran, Imodium, a few Benadryl along with some Super Glue and steri-strips, and a tiny Vintorinox Swiss Army Classic knife. Those little scissors on the Classic are VERY useful! Sounds like a lot, but this really takes up very little space and the weight is minimal.

I really have never found the need to carry any other first-aid supplies, otherwise you start getting caught up in a bunch of “what if” scenarios and next thing you know you have a pretty substantial and heavy first-aid kit. It’s always a risk and a chance of getting hurt, but on thru-hikes or multi-day trips I’ve never needed anything more than what I’ve listed above. For other activities though, say if I’m at a firearms class or at the range I bring a complete bleeder kit with things like combat gauze, tourniquet(s), chest seals, trauma shears, etc., things that are necessary to take on a multi-day hike, IMO.  Basically take the right first-aid gear for the activity and situation combined with what you’re comfortable with.

As far as carrying a larger knife, I’ll usually carry a Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman or a Buck 112 Slim Select, but it’s carried in a pants pocket.

My philosophy is if something really bad happens and you’re remote there’s probably not much you’re going to be able to do anyway, so it doesn’t make sense for me to carry a bunch of stuff. We can go though all kinds of scenarios  in our brains, but it comes down to what we’re all comfortable with (or not comfortable with) individually. With that said, I do think a good blade of sorts is worth carrying.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Curious about foregoing the FAK Ryan. What do you consider short trips? How far away from your car are you at the furthest?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I’ve slipped and gashed some part of me badly enough a few times, even on day hikes, that I don’t go more than a couple of miles from my car without my minimalist FAK: 3-4 band aids of different sizes, a couple alcohol prep wipes, a day’s worth of pain killers, the tweezers and scissors from a small SAK, and one of those tiny hotel sewing kits for a serious gash. I always include a bit of hand sanitizer, so it does double duty in eating kit and FAK, and I almost always bring along a self-adhering Ace bandage too.

Since I no longer wear a bicycle or climbing helmet when I go solo (yeah, I really did back in the day) my biggest concern is falling and gashing my head, so I want to be able to bind up a head wound and hike out, assuming I’m not unconscious for an extended period and just bleed out. Hmmm…bike helmets are a lot lighter and cooler these days…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Two scenarios where I go pretty “simple” w/ my shelter/sleep sysytem- one is during backcountry early rifle season WITH a favorable forecast- eVent bivy, inflatable pad, Apex quilt.  Everything else can be rather heavy and unsimplified- pack frame, rifle, optics etc, so nice to simplify part of my kit anyways.

The other is dead of winter using a snow shelter- again eVent bivy, 0-ish degree bag, a high r value pad and an avy shovel (for constructing said shelter).

No first aid kit is a non-starter for me- my summer first aid kit is right at 2 oz; gets heavier with hunting season as the potential for serious bleeding increases- almost all off trail travel where you’re negotiating downfall/talus slopes/other obstacles, sharp knives are involved if you harvest something, etc.

Ditto on things like a small fire kit, small repair kit, navigation, sat com (inReach Mini), headlamp, etc- I’m simply most often traveling in remote areas and almost always solo- most of that stuff resides in a small dry bag and weighs a few ounces, so it makes no sense to consciously leave it behind.  If it doesn’t get used, it’s considered a win :)

I just got back from a fast/light peak bag where I wanted to spend the night- used a small (25-ish liter pack) and my eVent bivy/quilt.  I had a favorable forecast (NOAA Spot and Meteoblue), but at the last minute threw in a small (5×5′) tarp just in case.  Just in case turned into raining from 3:00 AM and all of the next day hiking out- while I would have been much better off w/ a larger tarp, I was damn glad I there in the little one!

Favorable forecasts are often not favorable weather :)

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

This reminds me of the SUL Wanderer series Ryan filmed (episode 1, episode 2) which were so well done.

Ben Pike
    BPL Member

@facenorth

FAK must have for me is a triangle bandage.  So many uses e.g. tourniquet,  ankle splint/brace, sling, hold pressure on a wound,  fix a backpack strap,  fix a broken ski touring binding, and many more things.  Maybe a uniform should an impromptu sumo wrestling match break out.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Hike with a surgeon. Ultra light and compact, even if the surgeon is overweight. Bring needle, thread, blister treatment and sanitizer.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Totally agree with the idea of carrying fewer items.  While I add a blade, a few first aid items, my prescription meds, needle and thread, and a lighter to this list I probably carry 1/3 of the things I did on my “max weight” 1998 section hike of the CDT.

Though it’s been 25 years, with much less weight I still move faster than I did then, and with so few things to keep track of packing up is quick and worry free. And I don’t miss it.

After that 1998 hike I sorted my stuff into “used on the hike” and “not used” and then further into “used because I needed it” and “used because I had it”. As the manager math suggests I was able to delete about 2/3 of my kit.

AND I’ve applied this to life in general.  There is freedom not having to keep track of and maintain stuff.

Warren C
    BPL Member

@bhamsterbpack

Locale: Cascade Mountains, NW Washington

Ryan, thanks for this list. It’s helped me think about what’s really critical for a light summer kit (I’m still bringing the FAK and Leatherman Squirt :)).

I’m intrigued by the Suluk46 Atani tent stakes, but I haven’t seen any detailed BPL reviews. It sounds like you paired them with 4 MSR Core stakes for your recent trip into the Never Summer Mountains.

Can you talk about our experience with them? In terms of their place in an everyday 3-season kit for something like an X-Mid 1P, do you see their best use as a lightweight supplement to something with more holding power like the Core? Do you have just the Atani stakes in your simple kit to maximize the weight savings, even if you lose some oomph for high winds?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Hi Warren, yes, I took 4 MSR Core and 8 Suluk46 Atani stakes. Worked out great in all types of soils, we camped deep in the forest and up in the rocky alpine. I used an X-Mid Pro 1P, and a 4-stake pitch was totally doable with the Core stakes. Yes, the Atani stakes are there to stake out the two vestibules, the two peak guylines, with 4 left over for remaining guylines if needed.

With the X-Mid, only the corners need a lot of holding power (and they need a lot to get a taut pitch), the rest of the stake out points and guylines don’t get a lot of force, even in high wind. I used to include 4 medium-holding power stakes (MSR Carbon Core) in my stake kit to give me more variety, but anymore, I’m opting for 4 stakes with lots of holding power and the rest can be minimalist and light.

Khris R
    BPL Member

@khrisrino

The minimal pack list is mostly a function of the destination right?

I backpack in the Sierras where a bear canister is required by law. Also there are a few items that are not totally necessary but does not really make sense to do away with eg sunscreen, pain killers, fire starter, head lamp etc

My philosophy is once the pack is light enough to not be a burden I’m perfectly fine going down the order of priority to pack the other important items.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Ryan….When you used the 8 Suluk46 Atani stakes were they the 6″ or 8″ AND did you at any time use them for corner stakes only?

The MSR Core Stakes (medium holding) were 6″ or 9″ ?

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

aren’t you missing:

nyloflume pack liner, toothpaste, toothbrush, sit pad, patch kit for Therm-a-rest, DCF patch tape for tarp, head lamp, battery bank, wall charger, misc cables to charge watch, head lamp etc, at least some headache medicine, diarrhea medicine, anti-biotic patch, extra socks, extra underwear – unless this kit is for an overnight or weekend trip.

Still mountains make their own weather…..so would definitely take a DCF bathtub groundsheet – to protect against streams forming under the tarp – will be lighter than bivy.

Some folks also include phone, Inreach in their base – even though you may keep phone in pant pocket etc.

I think a kit that is 6.5 to 7 lbs is a reasonable kit – that doesn’t take any risks.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

aren’t you missing:

nyloflume pack liner, toothpaste, toothbrush, sit pad, patch kit for Therm-a-rest, DCF patch tape for tarp, head lamp, battery bank, wall charger, misc cables to charge watch, head lamp etc, at least some headache medicine, diarrhea medicine, anti-biotic patch, extra socks, extra underwear – unless this kit is for an overnight or weekend trip.

Still mountains make their own weather…..so would definitely take a DCF bathtub groundsheet – to protect against streams forming under the tarp – will be lighter than bivy.

Some folks also include phone, Inreach in their base

I’ve been doing this backpacking thing for almost 60 years. I don’t bring a pack liner, sit pad (although I could remove the pad on my pack and sit on it, which I never do), battery bank, cables, diarrhea medicine, antibiotic patch, extra socks or underwear – don’t wear underwear – extra weight. Don’t bring a phone or Inreach type of device. All of this includes long trips.

I bring a map & compass, headlamp with extra batteries, and sometimes a P&S camera.

With proper site selection a bathtub floor isn’t needed with my floor-less tarp shelter. I have been on trips where I warned others that their tent/bathtub floor was in a bad location. They got flooded, but I didn’t.

Taking as few things as possible needs to be coupled with experience.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I don’t understand why someone would not take a 1 oz Nyloflume pack liner – unless your backpack can protect your sleeping bag because you have sealed the backpack really well or you are using a stuff sack. That seems like an unnecessary risk.

Sit pad is again 1 oz – can protect your butt from rain/cold – but that is not essential I suppose.

Fine that you don’t take underwear. But, most others do. You can have a diarrhea accident and soil your pants….you cannot say you can use your experience to avoid diarrhea. Without underwear – I suppose you are lucky you don’t chafe…but it does for me.

You are just exchanging a battery bank with extra batteries for your head lamp…..your compass/map is replacing your phone….different tools but serving the same purpose.

Phone is the ultimate multi-purpose tool for me – navigation, keep in touch with family, Kindle for reading, listening to music, upto date trail conditions/water reports on the trail. Sure you can do without it – but why? Inreach again is for emergencies….I would never head out without it – sure when such technology was not available, you do with what you have. But now it is available and gives peace of mind to the family – your experience cannot save you from accidents. And just because you have not had one – doesn’t mean it is not going to happen some day – hopefully not.

None of this is tied to experience – maybe site selection to avoid a bathtub sheet. I will give that one to you. But my thinking is I don’t want to think about site selection too much after 20 to 25 miles….just put my tarp and bath tub sheet.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

when did backpacking become so dangerous that the family had to be updated twice a day? I went hiking with my neighbor once. His wife kept calling him and sending texts with new pictures of his kids and such. It was endless and annoying.

Part of the exercise is to leave the distractions at home in order to immerse yourself in nature. You can’t do that while grasping your phone.

By the way the title of the thread is Simplifying your pack by taking as few items as possible. Suddenly phones, chargers, wires, etc are as essential as a tent and sleeping bag. Not for me.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools