Topic

Shelter advice: Cirriform or Triplex

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Shelter advice: Cirriform or Triplex

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Per a recent MYOG thread, I just finished building a flat tarp. Got to use it this weekend with my Echo II inner and really liked it. But….I’ll admit the headroom does suck. Don’t mind the front entry, though. Okay, so while I was working on my flat tarp, I also picked up a cuben Cirriform 2p tarp. Only pitched once so I can still return it. I bought it thinking that I could use it when the forecast was rough and in the colder months. However, I’m wondering now if it was the best way to spend that much money. I have very little in my tarp and the Echo inner so I can afford to hang on to them regardless and I’ll have a tarp/net setup for hot summer months.

So, I’m considering three options and I don’t know why I’m making this so difficult but I’m trying to find the best mix of options to have in my shelter bin. Mostly hike with my wife, btw.

1. Keep the Cirriform tarp as intended to have two different tarps to use with the inner. Bugs usually always suck here so I have no need for modularity. I just want something light weight and supported with trekking poles.
    2. Return the tarp and grab a Cirriform 2P single wall. This would give us much more room, weigh less, and would be great for the time of poorer weather.
    3. Return the tarp and watch for a decent deal on a Triplex (45″ wide floor is not enough on the Duplex).

Either way I’m keeping the flat tarp and inner. Just trying to decide what the best way to spend my money is for a second more weather-worthy shelter option. lastly, I am 5’10” and my wife is 5’5″. We both small (skinny) so no weird size constraints. Anyone had a 2P SW Cirriform and can say whether or not two people could sit up at the head end?

Thanks!

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I know my initial post might be TL;DR so in summary, has anyone own or handled the Duplex and Single Wall Cirriform 2P and can comment on what they liked and disliked? I obviously understand the difference between side and front entry and the resulting headroom and acrobatics needed for front entry. Anything else worth highlighting?

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

Objectively, the triplex has more width and volume – usable space.  It also weighs 6oz/20% less than the Cirriform.  The triplex has dual entries so it’s probably fair to say it is easier to ingress/egress.

Subjectively, the Cirriform is a unique shelter and it seems that you like the tarp/inner type of setup.  I’m not too sure about which shelter would be more storm worthy so perhaps someone else could chime in out that.  If it was me, and I was dead set on keeping the MYOG tarp and inner, I’d get the triplex.  Then I’d have two very different shelters for different reasons – solo and hiking with the wife.  FWIW, a triplex is going to be extremely easy to sell at probably 75-85% of the original price, if that matters to you.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks, Drew. FWIW, I’m not necessarily dead set on it but probably couldn’t get enough money out of the Echo to justify selling it and doubt I would get much at all for the tarp I made and I have a lot of time put into it so it’s worth more than the money I guess. Aside from that, I definitely recognize the love for the Plex tents, I just like the lack of sloped walls at the head and foot of front entry and I only have the concern of the floor not being staked out on the Plex. So that’s really where I’m at I guess.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

With nearly 100 nights in a Duplex, I can say that not having the floor staked out has been a non-issue.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

I have read a couple places that the floor will tend to run down hill if sleeping on a slope while the fly will remain in place since it’s staked out. Has that happened to anyone else?

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

When camped on a slope, my wife and I have had a tendency to run down hill (as with any tent) but not had a problem with the floor moving. If it really worried you, you could use stick on loops to make your own stake-out points.

Would staking a floor perhaps concentrate the stress of a potentially moving floor on a smaller area. Has anyone read reports of a floor being damged through moving when camped on a slope?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Not sure if this will help, but I’ve never had a problem with selecting a site or pitching the Duplex that wouldn’t have been a problem with any (every) other tent I’ve ever owned.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Those comments are reassuring. I have trouble with shelter decisions because I feel that most opinions on here come from mostly solo hikers. It also seems that most use the Duplex as a solo shelter. A floor width of 45″ just seems narrow, hence the ask about the Triplex. My wife and I obviously aren’t big people and the combined width of our pads is 43″. I’m just not sure I like the idea of having my side plastered against the mesh wall and I think it would in the Duplex. Is that accurate or no?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I do use the Duplex as a solo shelter…and at 6’1″ tall I prefer to lie diagonally in it. I find it downright palatial for 1 with ALL gear inside (except perhaps muddy shoes).

At the heights you list for yourself and your wife, lying side-by-side would not be a problem length-wise…in fact you could probably store some gear at the foot and/or head, but packs and boots would need to stay in the vestibules.

If you are both of normal build, I would think the width would be adequate, whereas the Triplex would be more toward palatial. The mesh side walls are not taught as they (and the floor) simply hang from the canopy.  I would even say the mesh is very loose and don’t think you’d ever feel “plastered against it”.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

FWIW, I have read other threads including this one on the differences.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks, John. My hatred towards this comes from the BA CS UL2 I just sold where, since the walls were taught, I was crammed against it and it sucked. :)

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

My wife and I are 5’6″ and 5’10”. Im 70kg and she’s somewhat less. There is plenty of room for us in the Duplex, but we use a twin quilt, which perhaps helps.

Often we bring everything in with us (packs, boots etc), in which case there is just enough room. YMMV.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Seems like I keep saying this over and over, and I understand that some may not be comfortable ordering something then returning it, but the ZPacks warrantee states if don’t like the gear return it in the same condition in which you received it and either receive a refund or exchange for another item.

My advice is to order the Duplex and see if it works for you and your wife. If not, ask Joe to exchange for a Triplex.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools