Topic

Resistance of ZPacks' Waterproof Zippers to Pen Attack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Resistance of ZPacks' Waterproof Zippers to Pen Attack?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Golly G. Willikers
    BPL Member

@piano

Locale: Orion Spur

Can anyone please tell me (or perhaps test) how well the waterproof zippers used on some ZPacks backpacks resist being forced open by a pen?

Very appreciative if someone does not mind testing!

Here is an example of what I am talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpIJVWXsBBI#t=01m13s

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I can’t think of why I would want to risk damage to my zipper to satisfy your curiosity.

What is your specific concern?

Golly G. Willikers
    BPL Member

@piano

Locale: Orion Spur

Thanks for considering my question anyways. I can understand your reluctance.

To answer your question, I am going travelling for a while, and need to buy a pack. I will choose either a security-oriented pack from Pacsafe (very heavy!), or a lighter, more ergonomic, and more water-resistant hiking pack (1st choice is one of ZPacks’ panel loaders). I am inclined towards the latter. I would like to mod the pack to incorporate some of the missing security features I want. One of the features I can’t modify, though, is the tamper-resistance of the zippers. Most packs use an insecure type of zipper, easily opened as in the video above. However, I believe many “waterproof” zippers are more pen-resistant, so it’s possible that Zpacks’ zippers might be as well. Would like to confirm.

Cole B
    BPL Member

@cole-b

Locale: The Edge of the Linville Gorge

I don’t know if a Z pack zipper will hold up to a pen, but I do know the fabric won’t hold up to a knife, which kind of makes the zipper part irrelevant when it comes to security.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

First hit from a search –

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/195501

So, you are worried about –

1. someone slicing you pack while it is on your back? (South America)
    2. slicing your pack while it is out of sight (airlines)? (USA)
    3. stealing your pack from your room while you’re out? (everywhere)
    4. or …

Kevlar will stop “slicing-on-the-go”. Nothing will stop anyone determined and tooled from liberating it from your room…

YouTube video

What specific scenarios are you concerned about?

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I can’t think of why I would want to risk damage to my zipper to satisfy your curiosity.

Some guy licked an ice-cold gas canister for the sake of knowledge. Be a sport.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No different than a regular zipper. The only difference in construction is that the zipper tape is coated. Then it is sewn on facing the opposite direction than we normally see.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I’d focus on not losing the whole pack. The real risk.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools