Topic

Patagonia Nano Air Light Hoody Review (First Look)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Patagonia Nano Air Light Hoody Review (First Look)

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Brian L.’s comment is persactly what I say. This hoody seems to “require” that one carries a light wind shell as well. Therefore, as Brian sez, why not just take fleece, even Windstopper fleece?

For ultimate light weight and packability get the appropriate thickness DWR treated down jacker or hoody and also carry the wind shell. I have an Eddie Bauer First Ascent down jacket and vest. Both can be carried if necessary.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Wouldn’t you just put on your hard shell if it was too windy and cold that it overwhelmed your Alpha/FR jacket?  I would be surprised if you needed a jacket more breathable than a hard shell if you’re too cold in an Alpha jacket that has 70 CFM.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

99% of the time, I don’t bring a hardshell when ski touring. Even when snowing hard, a softshell paired with a light synthetic jacket provides enough moisture protection. A hard shell, if not needed for moisture protection, is very much useless the majority of the time. The softshell can be worn on the uptrack when it gets windy. The hardshell cannot – they ALL breath horribly in comparison. The only use for a hardshell is on the down (or at breaks with an alpha jacket as your only insulation?). A softshell works just fine for this as well. As does a light synthetic jacket when you need one.

Eric: at belay hang pack, take off windshirt, pull out fleece, put on fleece, put on windshirt …. Dont drop or let anything get blown away

when ready to climb, take off windshirt, take off fleece, put back in windshirt, stuff fleece in pack …. Dont drop or let it get blown away

I don’t think you understand the concept of a belay parka. A belay parka is not a fleece. You do not put it on underneath a windshirt. It goes on the top of all your layers. I’d be WAY too hot to climb in the same gear I need to wear at a belay, even with zipper venting. Are you actually doing this??

Dave: Alpha moves the inevitable sweat better and keeps you drier over the whole day.

When and how are you wearing it though? I’m just fine on the uptrack with just a baselayer and softshell, without any mid-layer, even in extreme cold. Are you wearing it over your softshell or windshirt on the downhill, because you won’t be warm enough otherwise?

I find that I’m also usually just fine on the downhill with just my baselayer and softshell. In addition to hanging out (i.e. lunch, on a summit), if its stormy and cold enough above treeline, I’ll wear my synthetic insulation layer on top of my softshell on the downtrack (quite rare) and uptrack (very rare).

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Brian …

i have several belay jackets

perhaps you miss the fact that many of these LIGHTER breathable type insulation jackets are NOT belay jackets …. Except in the mildest of temos no one uses a 40 g/m as a belay jacket

they are relplacement for softshells or fleeces

;)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

When I was a Nordic Ski Patroller I’d come in at the end of the day with my patrol jacket literally soaked in the back. It was a 60/40 cotton/polyester shell jacket B/C that’s what was “official”. I wore polyester or polypro base layer zip T and a heavy wool sweater and only on days below 15 would I add a Thinsulate vest.  I wore a fanny pack 1st aid belt so my back was not covered but it still was sweat soaked every time.

Thus I second David’s motion for wearing very breathable jackets for XC skiing. And back country skiing is every bit as sweaty as fast track skiing, maybe more so climbing with skins.

Bill Wang
    BPL Member

@billwang

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just received my Nano Air Light Hoody in size L.  On my scale it weighes 11.2 oz.  It is a bit more puffy than I was expecting.  It is very comfortable next to skin, e.g. over a short sleeved T shirt.  I also confirm, using a simple breath-through test, that is seems very air permeable.  Compared to my arcteryx squamish wind jacket, I’d say I can breathe through it about twice as fast (NALH is 5 secs per full breath vs 10 sec for my squamish).

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

BPL has sold out to advertisers, which raises questions about reviews done by BPL staff.

Who paid for the jacket ?

Is the whole article an advertisement or an honest review ?

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

Locale: Directorate X

I found the disclaimer at the bottom of the article to be clear.

As for the rest, I see any article as the starting point of a discussion, not an unquestionable truth. It’s up to the reader to assign value to the article and subsequent discussion. As long as nothing pertinent is hidden, I see nothing wrong with BPL’s process.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Eric: perhaps you miss the fact that many of these LIGHTER breathable type insulation jackets are NOT belay jackets …. Except in the mildest of temos no one uses a 40 g/m as a belay jacket

I use my 60 g/m MHW Thermostatic Hoody as a belay jacket all the time (in the same scenario you outline using a cumbersome fleece/windshirt combo).

Clue: BPL has sold out to advertisers, which raises questions about reviews done by BPL staff.

Who paid for the jacket ?

Is the whole article an advertisement or an honest review ?

Good questions to ask. It’d be nice if at the beginning of BPL reviews, they state how they obtained the jacket and what advertising money they accept from the company. That said, receiving gear for free doesn’t preclude an honest in-depth review. I work for Blister Gear Review and we receive all (almost) our products direct from the distributing company. We aren’t afraid of saying a piece of gear doesn’t meet it’s intended purpose, or to speak our minds about the limitation of a piece of gear. We do, however, refuse to accept advertising money from companies whose products we review, which may be a bit different, and, in our experience, HAS lead to conflicts of interest via strings attached.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Brian,

a 60g/m isnt a “belay parka” … And if thats what yr talking about folks climb in those all the time in cooler weather

what exactly are we comparing this 10 oz nano air lite to?

are you wearing a wind/softshell AND bringing along a 60g/m hoody?

;)

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Fine, it doesn’t have to be called a belay parka. I’ll call it a parka that I’m using while I’m belaying. ;)

I wear the hoody over my softshell when ski touring, yes. Not while climbing. If I need wind protection while actually climbing, I bring a lightweight windshirt (like a Houdini). That can sometimes be sufficient for belays when its warmer. When it’s not sufficient for belays, then yes, I use the hoody on top. In really cold temperatures, of course, I use a much warmer ‘belay parka’. ;)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

“Disclosure: The manufacturer provided a sample of this product to the author with no agreement, requirement, or obligation for media coverage of any kind. Thinking about buying this gear? You can support Backpacking Light in the process: if you click on the link to this product and make a purchase at the retailer website, the retailer will contribute a portion of the sale to help support Backpacking Light. It doesn’t increase your cost, and it helps us maintain our site, fund content development, and grow member services! Thanks!”

I love the juxtaposition of the above.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Brian

ive used similar setups

atom lt hoody – 14 oz goes over windshirt – 6 oz …. 20 oz

i tend to bandolier those light synth “belay puffies” … But if you dont and clip it to yr harness thats an extra oz for the biner

at the belays youl still need to unstuff and restuff the jacket every time …. Risking dropping it or it blowing away

or carry a pack when leading yo stuffit into

basically its double the weight for more faff

now these “one piece” insulation might not be the end all …. But for climbing anyways theres definite advantages

and indeed top climbers are using em

;)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

It seems that a 70 cfm fabric would fit an air permeability niche between a fleece and a 20-40 cfm windshirt. I think that 100 weight fleece, nano air light hoody, and windshirt could be a good active insulation set up for cold weather.

As someone who gets cold easily and overheats easily, all this micro adjustment of layers and attention to detail is really important for staying comfortable.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

Indeed. The Cap 4 EW and Westcomb Tango is my so far best Winter “Action Suit” yet. If the wind picks up or weather turns nasty I layered the BD Alpine Start and or more often just a ME Neoshell hardshell. Belay insulation is an oversized Arc’teryx Nuclei AR. This system worked well for me in -5C to -18C with up to 50mph winds in Scotland.

Since I found the the Nuclei AR so weather resistant, I am thinking of leaving the Neoshell and Alpine Start behind this Winter.

I see the main benefit of this newer lighter weight active insulation addressing the weight concerns we had when the first Alpha pieces came out and extending their use into the shoulder seasons. Those still skeptical really ought to give it try before dismissing it. Never seen a bad review of these pieces yet. Might be just as surprised as I was.

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

This “review” felt like a site reviewing products for profit to me.

The gear was free, ads are all over the site,  and there is an affiliate link to get extra money from hyping the jacket.

And, BPL does run ads for companies that provide free gear, beyond the kickback link for the jacket.

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

This “review” felt like a site reviewing products for profit to me.

The gear was free, ads are all over the site,  and there is an affiliate link to get extra money from hyping the jacket.

And, BPL does run ads for companies that provide free gear, beyond the kickback link for the jacket.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion. Mine is that your pronouncements, combined with a lack of admission that there was a very clear disclaimer attached to the article, indicate that you have a need to grind an ax over this. I’d prefer that none of the financial issues were in play, and that BPL was completely free and independent, but it’s an extremely rare site that can foot the entire bill of their existence … and continue to exist.

BPL’s conduct in this area seems to be better to than the norm, but I agree that readers should maintain some skepticism any time editorial independence and commercial needs can intersect. OTOH, posting unsupported condemnation of BPL as you have (“BPL has sold out to advertisers” – Clue M) makes me suspect your motives more than theirs. Fairness goes both ways. If BPL’s business model is so distasteful to you, perhaps you should move on to another site that meets your expectations.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

^^^ So says the new guy. BPL’s advertising thing is a new development here. I think Clue is bemoaning the loss of integrity. Was a time that BPL’s reviews were a gold standard. More things read like adverts now. Broken promises…

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

^^^ So says the new guy. BPL’s advertising thing is a new development here. I think Clue is bemoaning the loss of integrity. Was a time that BPL’s reviews were a gold standard. More things read like adverts now. Broken promises…

So says someone that’s lurked on BPL for years, and realizes that there are many challenges involved with running an operation like this. I don’t like some of the changes and decisions, but I decided it was time for me to fund the site if I wasn’t pleased with the direction BPL was heading. I vote with my money, and if I decide BPL isn’t worth funding, I won’t.

Some of BPL’s content is still class leading in every way, Roger’s stove series being a prime example. This effort of Ryan’s is what it is, and whining about it not being what it isn’t is foolish, IMO. The disclaimer was clear for anyone willing to read it, and that information should’ve been given some weight when evaluating the content. From what I’ve seen, rehashing generalized condemnations does nothing to improve the situation.

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

The disclaimer does not rule out praising a product with the primary goal of driving sales that produce revenue.

BPL has whored itself out to advertisers,  and it is no longer a clear case that honesty and integrity come ahead of making money when reviewing gear.

Patagonia is named as  a merchant partner, and I assume that means BPL benefits from moving Patagonia gear.

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

The disclaimer does not rule out praising a product with the primary goal of driving sales that produce revenue.

BPL has whored itself out to advertisers,  and it is no longer a clear case that honest and integrity come ahead of making money when reviewing gear.

That’s why BPL has removed references to competing products in the subsequent discussion of this article, right?   :rolleyes:

You win. BPL is whatever you think it is. The funny thing is that I don’t think this jacket would be of much value to me, but I’m still interested in where the market is going, and the discussion of how it may work for others. I don’t believe BPL’s use of disclaimers and advertisers has any bearing on that, but I may be wrong there, too.

Dan L
    BPL Member

@chronon

I appreciate the detailed Specifications section, but why was the price not also mentioned up front? I find it helpful to keep the cost of the item in mind as I’m reading the review and not having to find and click a link afterwards to get a retail price.

If there are concerns about the price changing, then perhaps adding “Price on REI as of <date>” would solve that.

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

I appreciate the detailed Specifications section, but why was the price not also mentioned up front? I find it helpful to keep the cost of the item in mind as I’m reading the review and not having to find and click a link afterwards to get a retail price.

If there are concerns about the price changing, then perhaps adding “Price on REI as of <date>” would solve that.

Adding the MSRP to reviews is a good idea, but I’d leave it at that unless an actual “purchased price” was available. There’s too much variability otherwise.

OTOH, I saw Patagonia and Light, so I knew it’d be up there.  : )

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Montbell (MB) is now selling their “Nano Air Light Hoody – Better Mousetrap” aka the UL Thermawrap Hoody.

The equally-resilient substantially-continuous MB Exceloft has ~twice the clo/oz; the MB is less weight at 9.3 oz. vs 10.2 oz.; the MB has similar high breathability face fabrics; and the MB costs only $165 vs $249.

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

Richard, that’s a good tip.

Funny thing, I’ve been very pleased with my dowdy MB Thermawrap “Ye Olde Reliable Mousetrap” for several years.  289 g / 10.2 oz – with included UL stuff sack.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools