Topic

Patagonia Capilene Thermal Weight Scull Cap?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Capilene Thermal Weight Scull Cap?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

hey all

does anyone have experience with this hat?

0.7 ounces; made of power grid.

even if you haven’t worn said hat, i’m curious what the more fabric-aware folks out there think the warmth of a power grid hat would be compared to a more traditional (and 3x as heavy) polyester hat.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I have this in balaclava form (Capilene 4 Balaclava).

Wind cuts right through it even more-so than fleece. It makes for a very good layering option and works great with a hood or under a helmet, but can be pretty breezy if worn alone and the temperatures become colder or windier than expected. Wicks sweat great, very comfortable next to skin.

ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

thanks steve. the background is that i’m switching from a hoodless to hooded down jacket and my current beanie may be more beanie than i need.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have worn it on my head as part of a hoody.  Steve is spot on my experience as well.  Often just a little something is all I want on my head at night.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Is this is for stationary use, there is no need for grid fleece. Look into powerstretch if you want something light.

ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

hey jeff

it would likely be used mainly in camp at night and in the mornings (under the aforementioned down jacket hood).

wouls you mind expanding on why power stretch would be better?

thanks

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

You gain warmth and durability with powerstretch which has a comparable bulk. You lose breathability, but you won’t be needing that.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

my favorite beanie- I have three of them :)- Capilene 4, Expedition weight and Thermal weight- not sure why Patagonia insist on changing names all the time???- it’s the same material used in their Cap 4/Thermal weight hoody

this is a on the move beanie- I use it for trail running, snowshoeing and fast packing- breathes well, dries super quickly and provides more warmth than the 0.6 oz would belie; also if you have a large head, might be a little tight

ben .
    BPL Member

@frozenintime

great info all, thank you!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools